Stupid Question....

civdiv

Ok, I noticed that CMAK advertises NA and Med (Italy) operations up through 1945. This covers the same combatents (for the most part) and time frame, though a different theater, as CMBO. And I also noticed that new mods like Sie Kommen use CMAK, vice CMBO. I also notice that the terrain tiles in CMAK are roughly twice as detailed as those found in CMBO.

So is CMAK basically a slightly updated CM engine over CMBO with slightly better graphics? Is CMAK also the version of choice for modelling the WWII Western Front, despite the presence of CMBO? I also note that the CMBO board isn't very busy, at least compared to CMAK and CMBB.

And because I bought the CMAK version w/o a printed manual, is there a central depository or a msg string here detailing the differences between CMBO and CMAK? Also, is there much of a mechanical difference between CMBO and CMBO:SE? What about between CMBO, CMBB, and CMAK? I've seen the listings at the back of the CMBB manual that deal with some of the differences between it and CMBO. Is there a significant mechanical difference between CMBB and CMAK?

And if my theater of choice is the Western Front, should I concentrate on CMAK or CMBO?

[ January 26, 2006, 04:08 PM: Message edited by: civdiv ]

Originally posted by civdiv:

I also notice that the terrain tiles in CMAK are roughly twice as detailed as those found in CMBO.

This isn't true, although CMAK does have an "EXTREME" setting that CMBO didn't - mainly because of hardware realities.

The main differences are in the game engine - MGs were like super-squads in CMBO (didn't fire at more than one target at a time) and infantry in CMBO had superhuman powers that CMBB/CMAK did away with.

The armour penetration model also changed dramatically, with unconfirmed kills/bailout time/partial penetration results, etc. So CMBO was quite different and, most argue, inferior.

CMBO won't likely be supported by CM:C, though I am betting (hoping) if CM:C for CMBB does well, CMAK will get a version.

Judging from your member # I guess you have a good appreciation of the limits of CMBO, particularly as you have CMBB.

I haven't seen any long threads detailing the differences between CMBO and CMAK - most of that went on when CMBB came out.

I don't think you will notice many differences between CMBB and CMAK. About the only things I can think of straight away are dust and dual turrets, neither of which make much difference to the Western Front.

And I agree with Jason that you would be eccentric to use CMBO now, unless you particularly wanted the handful of ETO vehicles that CMAK omits.

Since I wasn't around in the old days I haven't burned out on CMBO. I find it enjoyable for PBEM especially with people who have older computers that can't handle the big scens of BB or AK.

JasonC's more realistic equals more of a challenge to play well.

There are a few more subtle differences from BB to AK also.

Originally posted by stoat:

..."sneak" and "crawl" were combined into "sneak".

Well, sort of. But it would be truer to say that Sneak was eliminated and Crawl got renamed as Sneak. Move to Contact is a little like the original Sneak, but not a lot. It doesn't have the stealth benefits that were part and parcel of Sneak.

Confused yet?

:D

Michael