Tiger pix - thought some of you might like to see these...

Originally posted by Doctor Sinister:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr /> Originally posted by flamingknives.

Given the agonies they appear to have gone through over replacing the spare track on the front, I would have thought that they would only use an identical model of engine.

The replacement track on the front is actually a resin replica - unfortunately that's pretty obvious when you see it "in the flesh" so to speak. It just doesn't look quite right. Nice touch though.

Re' the engine, yes I agree, and I'm sure they would have preferred to use an idential engine as the original one that broke, however as someone else has stated here, where would you get one? </font>

Hey Claus B - I'm not seeing things am I? That's a King Tiger driving around in your photo? Where was that picture taken? I know they have King Tigers in France and Russia - is that the French one?

Flamingknives - interesting that the display said the track was metal. When I was there, the chap who gave the 13:00 "Tiger Talk" certainly said that the replacement track was made of resin - and it didn't look like metal to me. Apart from anything else, it didn't seem to "hang" right on the front. Then again, this bloke clearly wasn't 100% sure of all of his facts - so maybe you are right.

I agree that the Tiger isn't what I would call "pretty" but I also concur with the previous posting - it looks a hell of a lot more formiddable than the stuff it was going up against. Personally I hate Sherman Tanks - they just look too wimpy. But then, looks aren't everything I guess!

The Tiger has a certain malevolent beauty about it...

The Sherman? Heh, it looks like a Somua S-35 on steroids.

The M3 Medium? I think it looks like a bastard agglomeration of parts cobbled together after some horrible accident on the proving grounds..The Deux Chevaux of tanks, per se. It does have a certain joie de vive about it, though, which drives me to use those things just for the novelty of it. Good thing my life isn't on the line...

The M3 Stuart is just too cute to bash. I just want to stride over to it and pat it on the head (turret?) while dribbling nonsensical endearments much in the manner of a cat owner doting over their prize winning persian...

British tanks, with the exception of the A-15, are the ugliest self-motile heaps of scrap iron I have ever layed eyes upon (with the notable exception of the Bob Semple Tank).

The T-34 is a bit pin-headed in appearance but otherwise quite a looker. A very graceful and purposeful design.

Looks, however, will only get you so far on the battlefield...as the British Regulars in their dashing uniforms found out during the American revolution...

=D

[ February 23, 2004, 11:00 PM: Message edited by: Abteilung ]

Originally posted by Doctor Sinister:

Hey Claus B - I'm not seeing things am I? That's a King Tiger driving around in your photo? Where was that picture taken? I know they have King Tigers in France and Russia - is that the French one?

Yes, it is the Tiger II at the Musee de Blindes in Saumur, France. Picture was taken in 1998.

Claus B