Why do I suck at this game?

JasonC generaly (always) knows what he is talking about.

I tried the mission, and scored a few good kills, but my stratagy was not in any way like Jasons,

I eventualy got stomped,

Thinking about it yes, Jason has the better way,

My way was to leave one platoon on the ridge, while bringing the other up almost to the village,

Flanking with the two unattached tanks.

My initial advantage lasted all of 15 turns

Two thing, LW,

In reading your post you did one thing backwards, but the end results were essentially the same.

1. You moved your tanks and then rotated your hulls. Ideally you move your tanks and then rotate your turrets. The preferred method is to start your movement at a 30 degree oblique to the enemy, and then rotate your turret (via a covered arc command) when you get to your firing point. This avoids both your own dust getting kicked up by movement from interfering with your own spotting and shooting, and a rotating tank counts as a moving tank and adversely affects the accuracy of your own shooting. And the dust getting kicked up can be seen at a greater range than your actual tank.

2. 'Borg Spotting' is that everything one unit spots can be instantly 'seen' by every other unit. So two tanks are moving towards you. The first spots you. There is no 'virtual' communication delay where the one tank radios to the other that it sees you. The second tank also instantly sees you, and will start firing if it thinks it can do damage.