Aussie Sounds

Kitty

Game looks cool but I'd like to register one teeny weeny (small) complaint. Some of the Aussie voice sounds seem like whoever recorded them had a) a cheap microphone or B) their recording levels set too high. Very distorted and annoying . . . to me anyway. Again, this is a minor complaint but then again, it's my job to complain and it is irritating to have nice voice recordings then all of a sudden this hideous snap, crackle, and pop distortion on a few of them. Might I suggest a limiter? Maybe I'll have Mace make me some replacement .wavs. Problem solved.

Kitty

[ December 08, 2003, 06:50 PM: Message edited by: Kitty ]

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Originally posted by Kitty:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Cpl Carrot:

Well as long as there are no Aussies trying to sound like New Zealanders I would be happy. ;)

Why in the world would an Aussie want to do that? =)

Kitty

Top Aussie </font>

Originally posted by Mike:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Kitty:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Cpl Carrot:

Well as long as there are no Aussies trying to sound like New Zealanders I would be happy. ;)

Why in the world would an Aussie want to do that? =)

Kitty

Top Aussie </font>

Originally posted by Kitty:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Stalin's Organ:

These things are important to Aussies - they've got 4-5 times as many sheep there as us Kiwi's do after all!! ;)

Aren't they about 4 to 5 times bigger than you also though? =/

Worried,

Kitty </font>

Originally posted by Cpl Carrot:

What about that Aussie Mighty Morph'n Power Rangers turning into Americans? For instance shipping ol' Mel back to Oz is not a problem, consider it Christmas return! ;)

Originally posted by Stalin's Organ:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Stalin's Organ:

These things are important to Aussies - they've got 4-5 times as many sheep there as us Kiwi's do after all!! ;)

Aren't they about 4 to 5 times bigger than you also though? =/

Worried,

Kitty </font>

Originally posted by MAsta_KFC:

Before we get way off topic, I too, have noticed crackling and hssing at the end of the Aussie voices, not all, but one or two of them. REALLY detracts from gameplay and immersion, I must admit.

Right. That's what I was trying to say.

Kitty

Originally posted by Michael Emrys:

I also like roos and koalas and wombats. =)

What is it with you Ozzies and livestock? Are you all so unattractive you can't get dates with each other? Or are you all just weird?

Never mind, I think I just answered my own question.

Michael </font>

I spent over a year trying to get a good batch of Australian sound samples and whats in the game was the best of what we could obtain, but at least they are all from real Aussies.

The list of issues which cropped up included everything to one of my voice actors having a family crisis and loosing his house to Brian Rock having a personal crisis and getting married.

The samples that Mace sent me were, oh whats that word again...?oh yeah, CRAP, yeah thats it.

I honestly thought that a 12 month cycle would be long enough to aquire and edit the sound samples for all the nations we needed. For everyone BUT the Australians, it was...

Even so, I did the best with what I had. While I can make audible magic with sound effects, editing the human voice (assuming you consider Aussies humans) is VERY difficult to do.

If you think the sounds are clipping, it is easy to manually edit them, although I already noise gated and hardlimited them so they aren't supposed to be distorting, at least not beyond how they sounded originally.

Madmatt

[ December 09, 2003, 07:02 PM: Message edited by: Madmatt ]