CMx2 SOP Bone Spotted in latest New Bones Thread

Some folks here have indicated the new CMx2 bones are hard to locate sometimes because maybe there is so much other "noise" in the 300 posts + threads that the good new bones are hard to find. ;)

Since I may be one of the ones responsible for some of that "noise" (degrading the signal to noise ratio) I hope no minds if I post Steve's lastest bone here:

Battlefront.com

Administrator

Member # 42

posted January 20, 2005 12:57 AM                         

Since real life isn't done in turns, ANY turn length is inherently unrealistic. Therefore, arguing about this or that turn length being more or less realistic is missing the point. One should instead be thinking about how to make turn length irrelevant, not more relevant, in terms of impacting realism.

Variable turn length is possible in CMx2 because we aren't using assumptions of 1 min turns as CMx1 did. That being said, it is unclear to us if we will allow the user to adjust turns length. There are a lot of issues surrounding such a feature that we simply don't have answers to at this point.

One way to make turn length rather irrelevant is to put more restrictions on plan changing. If you issue an order that can't be changed for 5 minutes, what difference does it make if the turns are 1 minute, 30 seconds, or 2 minutes? In that instance that unit is locked down for several turns no matter what. Now... is this realistic or good from a game standpoint? Depends on how it is done. And that is always the tough part

SOPs, more realistic fire control, better simulation of C&C, more detailed objectives, etc. are all helpful in reducing the dependency on turn length for realism.

Steve

I have been watching pretty closely (I think) and this is the FIRST indication that we may see Standard Operating Procedures (SOP's) as a feature in the new engine.

For me this is every bit as big as Relative Spotting being introduced eliminating the total lack of realism of Absolute Spotting and the Borg Collective Conscious in the spotting and reporting paradigm!

The introduction and implementation of SOP's into the CMx2 engine should welcomed my most here as a HUGE step forward in MORE fun and we all hope MORE realism.

smile.gif

-tom w

[ January 20, 2005, 09:04 AM: Message edited by: aka_tom_w ]

OK ok

you got me

smile.gif

-tom w

Originally posted by Michael Dorosh:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by aka_tom_w:

Some folks here have indicated the new CMx2 bones are hard to locate sometime because there may me so much other "noise" in the 300 posts + threads that the bones are hard to find.

Now why would that be ...

;)

And why did you post "me" instead of "be"?

mmm... </font>