German halftracks in Egypt/Libya: how many?

atiff

Hi all,

Seeing some of the CMAK screenies on Boots & Tracks got me wondering; how many German halftracks were used in Egypt and Libya? (ie, under Rommel's DAK) Does anyone know of specific numbers in the Panzer divisions, for example?

I have not read a lot of books on North Africa, mostly the New Zealand histories, and can't remember mention of any halftracks. Obviously a lot of movement was done with trucks.

Originally posted by rune:

if you are talking about the SPW 251/1, then the max of one of the divisions was a whopping 7, and for 21st Panzer I believe it was a whopping 12. Halftracks were rare in Africa.

Rune

Pah, rubbish! I've seen all those North Africa war films.....there were halftracks everywhere. Every German soldier had his own ;)

Seriously though those are interesting figures. I wonder if CMAK will refect those with rarity values?

[ October 15, 2003, 05:27 AM: Message edited by: Ant ]

Originally posted by flamingknives:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Ant:

Pah, rubbish! I've seen all those North Africa war films.....there were halftracks everywhere. Every German soldier had his own ;)

But those all looked suspiciously like M3s [/QB]</font>

Originally posted by flamingknives:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Ant:

But those all looked suspiciously like M3s [/QB]</font>

I thought the 104th and 115th Regt's from the 15th Pz had SPW's...

Len Deighton's book "Blitzkrieg" has a great doublepage spread of TOE for 1 Pz div of May 1940, though this is before Hitler doubled his Pz divs by dividing them to 1 Pz Regt and 2 Inf Reg's apiece, one Inf Regt would have SPW's the other trucks. The new Organisation was stronger than the hybrid 'Leichte' Divs, which the 5th Pz was, though this in turn was beefed up and renamed 21st Pz.

I read somewhere that the 15th Pz was originally made from the cadre/nucleus of an Infantry Div and fought for the first time as Armour in Libya gaining it awesome reputation...

Rarer in Africa than generally - but in addition, SPWs weren't all that common in the first period of the war. The explosion in their numbers really comes in 1943-44. The early war light armor force was split between lighter tanks than those used late, and wheeled ACs.

Through the end of 1941, less than 1400 SPWs of the standard types were fielded. They were outnumbered by Panzer Is (though those phased out early) and again by Panzer IIs. There were half again as many armored cars, in several series each of around 400 vehicles. (221, 222, 223, 232, lesser types as well). Also around 400 command or arty halftracks (253 and 254), some light SPAT and a few SPA conversions.

Depending on what you count, only about 1/5 to 1/4 of the early war light armor force were half tracks. The bulk of the infantry of the panzer divisions (not even called "panzergrenadiers" yet) was motorized, in trucks. The recon guys were on motorcycles or in trucks, and supported by armored cars rather than gun halftracks. Panzer regiments scouted for themselves with Pz IIs.