MikeyD's Tiger I W.I.P.

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

About the pistol port, I'm in the awkward position of working on all types of Tiger I at the same time! So I've got art done with the pistol ports on both sides, the pistol port and hatch, and the hatch only (or maybe hatch/small pistol port plug - I've seen pictures). I've also got with/without the reinforced gun mantlet, with/without the center headlight on the bow, two types of running gear, three types of turret roof including the reinforced 40mm roof. I'm working on a version with/without zimmerit, and with/without those side fenders. I'm even contemplating deleting the rear turret stowage bin if that's possible (it might not be). And at some point I'm going to have to look a bit more closely into tool stowage too.

I said that I hadn't touched the Tiger I earlier because I was afraid of it. Now you can see why! :rolleyes:

About the pistol port, I'm in the awkward position of working on all types of Tiger I at the same time! So I've got art done with the pistol ports on both sides, the pistol port and hatch, and the hatch only (or maybe hatch/small pistol port plug - I've seen pictures). I've also got with/without the reinforced gun mantlet, with/without the center headlight on the bow, two types of running gear, three types of turret roof including the reinforced 40mm roof. I'm working on a version with/without zimmerit, and with/without those side fenders. I'm even contemplating deleting the rear turret stowage bin if that's possible (it might not be). And at some point I'm going to have to look a bit more closely into tool stowage too.

I said that I hadn't touched the Tiger I earlier because I was afraid of it. Now you can see why! :rolleyes:

I understand perfectly. I did a lot of research concerning these little details myself. But referring to teh pistol port on a late Tiger I'd guess they are a so-called 'hybrid tank' - late hulls with early turrets (used by sPzKp "Hummel" and Tiger-Grupe "Fehrmann", for example) that were constructed form salvaged parts becasue there were no other tanks available. Would be interesting having one of them. ;)

What reference books do you have? More recent books should have all the Details on production variants and field modifications.

One last word of advice: If you're afraid of too many details, NEVER touch the Panther - you'd need about every book available right now to get it all right. I own nearly every available book and I'd never have guessed there were literally dozens of different Panther variants...

I understand perfectly. I did a lot of research concerning these little details myself. But referring to teh pistol port on a late Tiger I'd guess they are a so-called 'hybrid tank' - late hulls with early turrets (used by sPzKp "Hummel" and Tiger-Grupe "Fehrmann", for example) that were constructed form salvaged parts becasue there were no other tanks available. Would be interesting having one of them. ;)

What reference books do you have? More recent books should have all the Details on production variants and field modifications.

One last word of advice: If you're afraid of too many details, NEVER touch the Panther - you'd need about every book available right now to get it all right. I own nearly every available book and I'd never have guessed there were literally dozens of different Panther variants...