Post access problem--need help

For some perverse reason, nothing I do, to include

flushing the cache, hot and cold reboots, running Spring Cleaning, etc., has allowed me to see the replies to my two threads on page two: Goodie for Steve G. and Bombshell grog find. Would some kind soul copy the contents into this thread so I can finally see what was said? Thanks!

Regards,

John Kettler

flushing the cache, hot and cold reboots, running Spring Cleaning, etc., has allowed me to see the replies to my two threads on page two: Goodie for Steve G. and Bombshell grog find. Would some kind soul copy the contents into this thread so I can finally see what was said? Thanks!

Regards,

John Kettler

Author Topic: Goodie for Steve G.

John Kettler

Member # 1026

posted January 22, 2005 08:36 PM

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Steve,

The February 2005 issue of MILITARY VEHICLE (COLLECTOR?) magazine has a major, heavily illustrated article in it on the origins, development and use of the M-29 Weasel.

Regards,

John Kettler

--------------------

Invitational Tourney

ROW I, Section Two

ROW II, Tourney II, Section Four

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Battlefront.com

Administrator

Member # 42

posted January 22, 2005 10:38 PM

Thanks! Not only do I have a copy as a subscriber to Military Vehicles Magazine, but my dad also picked one up for me (not knowing!). Great article, great magazine.

quote:

The February 2005 issue of MILITARY VEHICLE (COLLECTOR?) magazine has a major, heavily illustrated article in it on the origins, development and use of the M-29 Weasel.

Close... it covers the origins of the T-15, which was the prototype that lead to the development of the T-28, which later became the M29 and later still M29C. All were called the "Weasel" and developed under the same program. The T-15 was inadequate, which lead to the T-28 program (which was almost night and day different).

T-15s are rarer these days. Most are in horrible shape. One guy I know who restored one needed 7 individual vehicles just to have enough parts to begin reconstructing 1. Yikes! The problem is only 1000 were made and few parts on it can be found from other sources. Many of these were destroyed because the program had, at the time, Top Secret status. Another batch was lost during operations in the Aleutians (sp?) where they were used for their one and only "combat" operation.

Contrast this with the T-28/M29/M29C program which produced a little over 15,000 vehicles in all and used quite a large number of fairly common parts. Since the vehicle was put into general service the earlier models simply had some Top Secret stuff removed and were fielded in combat or at home. Thousands were retained by Norway until the 1980s, with many hundreds shipped back to the US. So there are lots of them around Heck, I found three of them rotting in the woods near my house (picked them up cheap!).

Schweeeeeew... got that out of my system. Now back to answering CMx2 stuff

Steve

jeffsmith

Member # 1346

posted January 22, 2005 10:45 PM

John,

Did you Really think you could "Scoop" Steve RE Weasel Info ?

Smitty

PS

But I am certain the effort is appreciated

[ January 22, 2005, 09:53 PM: Message edited by: jeffsmith ]

--------------------

The Trouble With Normal is it Only Gets Worse

Silflay Hraka, u Embleer Rah!

By the Sword We Seek Peace, But Peace Only Under Liberty

"They who would give up an essential liberty for temporary security,

deserve neither liberty or security" BFranklin

Michael Emrys

Member # 361

posted January 23, 2005 12:20 AM

There's an interesting article on the Weasel here. Guy has some nice models and dioramas too.

Michael

--------------------

Strategy is buying a rubber before going out on a date.

Tactics is groping around in the dark after you've dropped it under the car seat.

—Me

After some research into the matter at hand, I discovered Mr. Emrys is absolutely correct.

—Bergerbitz

Battlefront.com

Administrator

Member # 42

posted January 23, 2005 09:57 PM

Yeah, that's Barry's site. He had the original forum for getting Weasel guys together. Really nice guy who did a fantastic job restoring his T-24 to near original condition. Lots of body work done that few restorers have the skill or patience to deal with.

The MV collecting circle is quite small, but even smaller for something like Weasels. I don't know if any of you caught a show on National Geographic Channel with a title like "Millionaire Boy Toys - Heavy Armor" or something like that. They showed guys with big stuff in their collections, including one who is restoring a Panther (which came out of Poland in container loads of pieces!). Anyhoo, most of these guys are known to me, either directly or slightly indirectly. Not surprising since these guys are sorta the "Rock Stars" of the historic military preservation movement.

Steve

Author Topic: Goodie for Steve G.

John Kettler

Member # 1026

posted January 22, 2005 08:36 PM

Steve,

Regards,

John Kettler

--------------------

Invitational Tourney

ROW I, Section Two

Battlefront.com

Administrator

Member # 42

posted January 22, 2005 10:38 PM

Thanks! Not only do I have a copy as a subscriber to Military Vehicles Magazine, but my dad also picked one up for me (not knowing!). Great article, great magazine.

quote:

Close... it covers the origins of the T-15, which was the prototype that lead to the development of the T-28, which later became the M29 and later still M29C. All were called the "Weasel" and developed under the same program. The T-15 was inadequate, which lead to the T-28 program (which was almost night and day different).

T-15s are rarer these days. Most are in horrible shape. One guy I know who restored one needed 7 individual vehicles just to have enough parts to begin reconstructing 1. Yikes! The problem is only 1000 were made and few parts on it can be found from other sources. Many of these were destroyed because the program had, at the time, Top Secret status. Another batch was lost during operations in the Aleutians (sp?) where they were used for their one and only "combat" operation.

Contrast this with the T-28/M29/M29C program which produced a little over 15,000 vehicles in all and used quite a large number of fairly common parts. Since the vehicle was put into general service the earlier models simply had some Top Secret stuff removed and were fielded in combat or at home. Thousands were retained by Norway until the 1980s, with many hundreds shipped back to the US. So there are lots of them around Heck, I found three of them rotting in the woods near my house (picked them up cheap!).

Schweeeeeew... got that out of my system. Now back to answering CMx2 stuff

Steve

jeffsmith

Member # 1346

posted January 22, 2005 10:45 PM

John,

Did you Really think you could "Scoop" Steve RE Weasel Info ?

Smitty

PS

But I am certain the effort is appreciated

[ January 22, 2005, 09:53 PM: Message edited by: jeffsmith ]

--------------------

The Trouble With Normal is it Only Gets Worse

Silflay Hraka, u Embleer Rah!

By the Sword We Seek Peace, But Peace Only Under Liberty

"They who would give up an essential liberty for temporary security,

deserve neither liberty or security" BFranklin

Michael Emrys

Member # 361

posted January 23, 2005 12:20 AM

There's an interesting article on the Weasel here. Guy has some nice models and dioramas too.

Michael

--------------------

Tactics is groping around in the dark after you've dropped it under the car seat.

—Me

After some research into the matter at hand, I discovered Mr. Emrys is absolutely correct.

—Bergerbitz

Battlefront.com

Administrator

Member # 42

posted January 23, 2005 09:57 PM

Yeah, that's Barry's site. He had the original forum for getting Weasel guys together. Really nice guy who did a fantastic job restoring his T-24 to near original condition. Lots of body work done that few restorers have the skill or patience to deal with.

The MV collecting circle is quite small, but even smaller for something like Weasels. I don't know if any of you caught a show on National Geographic Channel with a title like "Millionaire Boy Toys - Heavy Armor" or something like that. They showed guys with big stuff in their collections, including one who is restoring a Panther (which came out of Poland in container loads of pieces!). Anyhoo, most of these guys are known to me, either directly or slightly indirectly. Not surprising since these guys are sorta the "Rock Stars" of the historic military preservation movement.

Steve

Author Topic: Bombshell grog find! Attn BFC & troops

John Kettler

Member # 1026

posted January 22, 2005 08:31 PM

Troops,

By sheer happenstance, I blundered into a place I'd never heard of and attained grog nirvana. It's called the W.W.II Store and is located at 1422 Marcelina Avenue in Torrance, California 90501, phone 310-533-4-WW-2. No website, but E-mail is

ww2store@sbcglobal.net

Books, posters, emphemera, medals, uniforms, flags, insignia, inert ordnance, even WW 2 seat backs mint in box, this place has them and more. The book collection is both broad and deep (hundreds I'd never seen), there being, for example, an entire shelf devoted to books by Japanese writers on the war, ranging from first person stuff to scholarly studies, one on women in the War, a shelf on CBI, etc., in addition to the more familiar topics. The store doesn't sell firearms, but deactivated MG and 20mm cannon ammo is available, as is an apparent 3" AP shot (glad I didn't have to load the gun; shot alone was a beast). Need RAF goggles, a U.S. Army officer's uniform or a DAK sun helmet? You're good to go. Same if you want LIFE from WW 2, CORONET, or any number of flying periodicals (one I saw had the XF-4U Corsair prototype on it). Radios, field phones,

minesweeping gear, practice bombs? Yes!

Grog heaven! Met a guy who's so into regalia collecting that he gets his books directly from Bender and a charming Frenchman with whom I discussed the Italian "chariot" (don't trust my Italian to spell "pig") ops in Gib and Alexandria and who was curious to know why USMC dress swords had a Star of David on the blade near the hilt. People are now poring over reference books to answer that one. If you get a chance, go, but be sure to call ahead, since I don't have the store hours.

Regards,

John Kettler

P.S.

Got a bunch of people there excited about CM in all its incarnations, too!

[ January 22, 2005, 07:39 PM: Message edited by: John Kettler ]

--------------------

Invitational Tourney

ROW I, Section Two

panzerwerfer42

Member # 5715

posted January 23, 2005 01:27 AM

The star on the sword is there because it was the symbol of the swordmakers guild of damascus, who I belive crafted the Mameluke sword presented to Lt. Presley O'Bannon in 1805 at Tripoli. If you look at it closeley you will note it has a solid circle in the middle inidicating its the guild's symbol, not a star of David.

Michael Emrys

Member # 361

posted January 23, 2005 02:59 PM

Good point. The six-pointed star is not the exclusive property of Israel nor of Judaism. It has been used as an emblem or symbol of one sort or another in various times and places by different groups for different reasons.

A similar case is the swastika, which has been used as far back as ancient India and as wide as North America by Native American tribes.

Michael

--------------------

—Me

—Bergerbitz

Author Topic: Bombshell grog find! Attn BFC & troops

John Kettler

Member # 1026

posted January 22, 2005 08:31 PM

Troops,

By sheer happenstance, I blundered into a place I'd never heard of and attained grog nirvana. It's called the W.W.II Store and is located at 1422 Marcelina Avenue in Torrance, California 90501, phone 310-533-4-WW-2. No website, but E-mail is

ww2store@sbcglobal.net

Books, posters, emphemera, medals, uniforms, flags, insignia, inert ordnance, even WW 2 seat backs mint in box, this place has them and more. The book collection is both broad and deep (hundreds I'd never seen), there being, for example, an entire shelf devoted to books by Japanese writers on the war, ranging from first person stuff to scholarly studies, one on women in the War, a shelf on CBI, etc., in addition to the more familiar topics. The store doesn't sell firearms, but deactivated MG and 20mm cannon ammo is available, as is an apparent 3" AP shot (glad I didn't have to load the gun; shot alone was a beast). Need RAF goggles, a U.S. Army officer's uniform or a DAK sun helmet? You're good to go. Same if you want LIFE from WW 2, CORONET, or any number of flying periodicals (one I saw had the XF-4U Corsair prototype on it). Radios, field phones,

minesweeping gear, practice bombs? Yes!

Grog heaven! Met a guy who's so into regalia collecting that he gets his books directly from Bender and a charming Frenchman with whom I discussed the Italian "chariot" (don't trust my Italian to spell "pig") ops in Gib and Alexandria and who was curious to know why USMC dress swords had a Star of David on the blade near the hilt. People are now poring over reference books to answer that one. If you get a chance, go, but be sure to call ahead, since I don't have the store hours.

Regards,

John Kettler

P.S.

Got a bunch of people there excited about CM in all its incarnations, too!

[ January 22, 2005, 07:39 PM: Message edited by: John Kettler ]

--------------------

Invitational Tourney

ROW I, Section Two

panzerwerfer42

Member # 5715

posted January 23, 2005 01:27 AM

The star on the sword is there because it was the symbol of the swordmakers guild of damascus, who I belive crafted the Mameluke sword presented to Lt. Presley O'Bannon in 1805 at Tripoli. If you look at it closeley you will note it has a solid circle in the middle inidicating its the guild's symbol, not a star of David.

Michael Emrys

Member # 361

posted January 23, 2005 02:59 PM

Good point. The six-pointed star is not the exclusive property of Israel nor of Judaism. It has been used as an emblem or symbol of one sort or another in various times and places by different groups for different reasons.

A similar case is the swastika, which has been used as far back as ancient India and as wide as North America by Native American tribes.

Michael

--------------------

—Me

—Bergerbitz

Originally posted by John Kettler:

flushing the cache, hot and cold reboots, running Spring Cleaning, etc., has allowed me to see the replies to my two threads on page two

John Kettler

Yes! The new 'Bugger Their Posts' technology is working!

Thank you, John, for being a part of my lab rat group.

Have some cheese?

flushing the cache, hot and cold reboots, running Spring Cleaning, etc., has allowed me to see the replies to my two threads on page two

John Kettler

Yes! The new 'Bugger Their Posts' technology is working!

Thank you, John, for being a part of my lab rat group.

Have some cheese?

Be very wary of Allume's Spring Cleaning app- It can very easily wreak havok on a system with a click of a button. It's like somebody else tidying your house not realising what is important to you and thrashing it without a care or consultation.

Bin it ASAP

Spring Cleaning Reviews

...running Spring Cleaning, etc., ...

Be very wary of Allume's Spring Cleaning app- It can very easily wreak havok on a system with a click of a button. It's like somebody else tidying your house not realising what is important to you and thrashing it without a care or consultation.

Bin it ASAP

Spring Cleaning Reviews

...running Spring Cleaning, etc., ...

Originally posted by Wicky:

It's like somebody else tidying your house not realising what is important to you and thrashing it without a care or consultation.

Look, I apologized about the 'Precious Moments' figurines, and that cat was about due to hook its claws into 'pet heaven's' curtains as it was, so I was actually doing you a favour by speeding him on his way. Are you going to go on about this forever? Next time, provide your own vacuum cleaner...

Originally posted by Wicky:

It's like somebody else tidying your house not realising what is important to you and thrashing it without a care or consultation.

Look, I apologized about the 'Precious Moments' figurines, and that cat was about due to hook its claws into 'pet heaven's' curtains as it was, so I was actually doing you a favour by speeding him on his way. Are you going to go on about this forever? Next time, provide your own vacuum cleaner...

But did you consider the winter insulation value of the carrier bags of belly button fluff, before you barrowed it all off to the tip.

And as for the jars of nutritious bogies...

@ Tero - Just click 'OK' with Norton Disk Utilities and it is like pulling the pin to a hand-grenade with OSX.

[ January 27, 2005, 02:54 AM: Message edited by: Wicky ]

But did you consider the winter insulation value of the carrier bags of belly button fluff, before you barrowed it all off to the tip.

And as for the jars of nutritious bogies...

@ Tero - Just click 'OK' with Norton Disk Utilities and it is like pulling the pin to a hand-grenade with OSX.

[ January 27, 2005, 02:54 AM: Message edited by: Wicky ]

Wicky,

Does this dire warning apply if one is running OS 8.6, instead of OS X. I've never had a single problem with this great little program.

Regards,

John Kettler

P.S.

Am frankly astonished by the nonresponse concerning the WW II store, in regards to its existence and contents, that is.

[ January 29, 2005, 12:26 AM: Message edited by: John Kettler ]

Wicky,

Does this dire warning apply if one is running OS 8.6, instead of OS X. I've never had a single problem with this great little program.

Regards,

John Kettler

P.S.

Am frankly astonished by the nonresponse concerning the WW II store, in regards to its existence and contents, that is.

[ January 29, 2005, 12:26 AM: Message edited by: John Kettler ]

I remember running Spring Cleaning when I was only had 8 or 9 (pre OSX) and what I saw then made me bin it immediately. No way was I going to give an app carte blanche to move and dispose files it deems unessential.

If used carefully, and it sounds like you you've used it to clear browser caches, ignore my caution but beware of using all its features as it might bite.

There are plenty of freeware software for clearing caches or it's even built in as a preference option in most browsers.

I remember running Spring Cleaning when I was only had 8 or 9 (pre OSX) and what I saw then made me bin it immediately. No way was I going to give an app carte blanche to move and dispose files it deems unessential.

If used carefully, and it sounds like you you've used it to clear browser caches, ignore my caution but beware of using all its features as it might bite.

There are plenty of freeware software for clearing caches or it's even built in as a preference option in most browsers.