larger calibre artillery

Macphail

I just played a few different games using 105, or 150 IG's, and I was quite pleased with the results. I was a little suprised by the size of the explosion a gun like that produces, and it was easily able to knock out any smaller AFV's (even with only a nearby impact) and did not a bad job with anything bigger. what was left was no trouble for a couple my tanks to take care of. In another battle, one such gun accounted for well over 100 enemy infantry casualties as well. despite its slower rate of fire, it more than made up for it with a higher ammo load, and sheer destruction. I have made a new freind.

Do any of you like to use bigger guns, or are you more into precision munition dispersal. personally, i think i like to see alot of running and sreaming and burning across the field.

The bigger, the better, I'd say.

The way I see it, if you really want to do some damage, I'd always go with the 150s or larger. 105-mm is also nice, because you get more rounds, but they sometimes seem to lack that "je ne sais quoi" of brute force, so 105-mm would be as low as I'm willing to go (provided I got enough points).

The only problem is to call in the fire mission right on time, due to the long delays.

Anything below 105-mm is fine against unprotected infantry (especially in woods), gun positions and open-topped vehicles. Mortars are especially nice against moving infantry or HT, because of their short delays.

However, anything of lower than 100-mm is a waste of points, when dealing with entrenched infantry or heavy armored vehicles (save the fact that I rarely knock out tanks with artillery fire anyway - they just won't stay still :mad: ).

Now, if only allied arty would be a little more affordable... ;)

Me too, The 105mm is devestating and can become a friend if placed in the correct positions. A infantry mans best friend is a big `gun` sitting looking at what he can see and shoot what he can shoot smile.gif Thats great untill you get too close the mg 42`s open up men are running and mortars are landing all over your `gun`. But thats another story. smile.gif

you wanna talk about cheap? I'm not done the battle yet, but i bought a grille. just like a marder, but with the 150mm gun. it showed up on my flank, with a company of infantry, into a town that had just been battered by 2 other 150's from the rear. suprise! result? running and screaming tommies.

I used a Grille to fire up two Hellcats...with one round! All-armor QB in Italy, and this round was a real rainbow...WAY back on a hilltop, and I had bought this thang for just such a reason. All that Yank light and open-topped armor was going to be trying to out-flank me...and I got that golden opportunity that gave me a great war story. :D