Need Help Moving CMAK

beady

I've had CMAK installed on my desktop PC forever. The old thing is dying, however, and my new laptop just arrived. I tried to install CMAK but, while the laptop can read the CD, it doesn't want to install the game; it "doesn't respond."

At the moment, I'm installing "Rome - Total War," and things seem to be going OK.

Any ideas? Does it matter that I haven't taken CMAK off the old computer, yet?

CMBO/CMBB/CMAK don't make any registry entries AFAIK - so if you have the computers networked, just copy over the contents of your CMBB folder to your new laptop.

Correction: CMBO/CMBB didn't make registry entries, CMAK does, so nix that idea unless you want to manually copy the registry entries over by editing your registry as well.

Other option would be to copy the contents of the CD to the harddrive and then install from there - since the laptop can read the cd.

I don't think that any of the registry entries for a CMAK install make much of a difference to the game itself other than for uninstall purposes (because it uses a Windows Installer now).

As previously mentioned the files can be moved over en masse and it should work fine. The other problem however is your laptop's reading of the CMAK CD. This could cause the copy protection not to work (and thus CMAK not working) if the CD drive truly has a problem with the disc. To test this you could attempt to copy the files off of the CD and see how well that goes. If you get errors during the copy process, then the drive may have a problem with the disc.

One common cause of CM installer hangs may be any anti-virus software running in the background with "active" protection. Disabling this "active" protection may allow the installer to work. If that doesn't do it, then possibly running in Safe Mode would be another likely fix.

I hate getting used to a new computer!

I tried it again and it's installing just fine from the D drive, as I speak. I'm really relieved, 'cause this laptop is for personal use on a three-month business trip coming up in January (I'm getting sent to Orlando for the winter!), and CMAK is the one game I keep going back to.

Now, if I can just get used to the bloody touch-pad. :(