Scenario advice

Some time ago I purchased Barbarosso to Berlin and Africa Corps, and I have played a few scenario's.

But in most of the scenario's I play, I am blasted from the field playing as attacker, while as a defender I win without having to do much more than just sitting and shooting ducks.

What are nicely balanced scenario's - and not too large - to get some experience?

Has somebody rated them on balance and difficulty somewhere?

Firstly, Afrika Korps. They have "k"s. Sorry, but I'm sort of anal about that.

Secondly, welcome to the community! These games and the people who play them are cool, and hopefully you'll join us on the forums.

And actually regarding your question, there are a few things you can do. If you are playing a person (PBEM or TCP/IP), you will lose. No question, early on. But you can ask them for help and advice on what you could have done better. Most people will be happy to give you advice.

And in any game, you can unbalance it yourself. When starting a QB, there is a pull-down tab in the lower right on the parameters screen that allows you to give or remove points from either side. Next time you play, give yourself a 25% bonus. You'll likely find it easier. I did this when I started out, and it is a handy way of cushioning one's entry into the game.

Also, there are many, many tactics and tips threads hidden all over. Do a little searching, and you'll come across one fairly quickly. Those threads contain some really hepful advice. Good luck!

1) Your sort of 'anal' WTF, a capital 'K' please to fully get one giganticly anal... tongue.gif

2) Cool? Only the CM games are cool, in fact probably the coollest thing in the players and especially the posters lives!

3) Plenty of good worthwild advice around to be sure.

4) Here's my bit; I learnt to attack through counter-attacking after getting sick of just sitting tight on the defence, mostly practising in QBs against the AI. I take more casualties by this but I bayonet charge his shot up and shelled infantry, finishing off his assualt forces before they rally sooner rather than just waiting to shoot them again, which is much more exciting while you manage it. smile.gif

The catch phrases to look out for around here are fire and movement, and overwatch for example especially by using on board mortars to deal with enemy ATGs. It also helps to plaster the enemy with Arty and to immidiately follow up with an infantry assault after a covered approach using a smoke screen if you have to. For attacking with armour there are the tactics of bobbing several units up shooting and scooting back in differrent places distracting the enemy enough that he misses or doesn't even get shots off while you should eventaully get him, may be with the one he is completely distracted from. Again I found QBs against the AI were good for this as you can use the different hillinesses to practise the same force types or balances on. Same goes for tree levels and houses. You can make them as big as it lets you while you don't have to treat it as seriously as you might a designed senario and just do it over and over again. (No matter how ever one likes it.) ;)

In terms of balanced senarios it depends on a lot of things but I'm interested in what may come up here. Best of luck.

[ August 26, 2005, 11:04 AM: Message edited by: Zalgiris 1410 ]

Funny thing ... I reckon I learned little while playing against the AI, other than maybe how it does things. Playing against people and talking to them about it was how I started learning... find someone who likes helping, doesn't mind giving you an advatage and advice as you go along and you'll learn heaps.

GaJ

Back to the original quesiton, scenario balance is notoriously difficult to judge. Experienced players will play a scenario and swear it is unbalanced one way or the other only to find other equally experienced players experiencing it the other way around.

People mistakenly think you can judge scenario balance with one play through. Unless it's blatantly unbalanced, you can't.

You can find some indications of play balance for various scenarios here.

Unlike player's subjective impressions, this is at least data about real game results. Plenty of margin for error, but better than nothing. The games at the top of the balance list are almost certainly balanced.

Pershotraveneve Ridge (at the top of the CMBB list) is an excellent small learning scenario.

GaJ.

[ August 27, 2005, 02:20 AM: Message edited by: GreenAsJade ]

GreenAsJade,

Thanks for this link.

I had been struggling with the Hill 312 scenario - I prefer to proceed more or less chronologically, and small - and it seemed like a lesson in futility to me: storming a fortified hill over open ground with a minority manpower.

Was slaughtered three times in a row, and as a commander I felt like an executioner.

Then I played it as defender, and without giving any orders it was a total victory.

Then I gave the AI Axis 200% bonus and +3 experience and I seemed to hold the ground again, but in the 27th of the 25+ turns, a group of Germans came from the back, having gone along the side of the map all around (a tactic that I had dismissed as gamey before) and they took the trenches in the last turn.

Anyway, I will use the more balanced scenario's to get into the game.

Although I _will_ try Hill 312 with the flanking manouvre for myself with something less then a 200% bonus.