Importing Maps/Forces in QB's - bug? or?

I was playing a quick battle assault against a friend of mine and decided that I really liked the map that the system had generated. I had read in the manual that you could import maps into the scenario editor and I thought that would be cool for setting up an opposite scenario for us (him assaulting, me defending this time). According to the manual, it says you can do this after the scenario is finished and you view the AAR.

Having problems with this, I looked on the Battlefront forums and found that you can do this in a normal scenario, but not a quick battle (which seems very odd, but okay...). I did however see that you can do a new quick battle, and use the map from an old one. I also noticed on page 161 that you can import forces from your old battle.

Note: you can, for example, import the “autosave” from a previously

finished battle. All terrain features, including terrain damage like craters

and destroyed buildings as well as foxholes will be imported, allowing

you to essentially play a series of Quick Battles on the same map!

After selecting the map, scenario or saved game you want, you

will be asked if you want to import troops, also. This applies to any

pre-made scenarios and (auto)save game files from FINISHED

battles (i.e. games that were saved while looking at the AAR

screen). These troops will be added to your force in addition to those

you purchased for the Quick Battle, and they DO NOT count against

your point total.

I thought this might be novel to have the forces we were left with from the first round, and then purchase another 500 pts or so as reinforcement. Once again though, it appears I'm stymied.

Does anyone know if this is actually possible? Is it a bug, or a design oversight or something else? Am I doing something wrong perhaps? Matt? Moon?

To be honest I am not sure what the question is smile.gif But yes, you can import maps (and troops) from a previously finished battle - additional to any troops you'd buy for your QB as usual. If I recall correctly, the "old" troops will not be resupplied, however.

Martin

Okay, I am apparently some sort of moron, because I still can't seem to get this to work. For those of you that this works for, can one of you possibly run me through this process?

As an example, I have a quick battle that I've saved after the battle (as well as a turn saved just before the end of the battle as a backup) and looking at the map after reading the AAR as stated in the manual.

I go into the scenario editor to import the map and select Load, then find the scenario name in my folder. Once I choose the .cmg file that I'm looking for, there is a momentary pause, then a 'ding' sound (the same one you get if you try to say, give orders to routed troops). If I try going into the map editor to see if its there - nada. Unit editor - nada. What am I doing wrong?

If on the other hand I go into the Start Game selection and choose a quick battle, fill out the appropriate boxes, and then select 'load from file' and pick the old saved game, I go to the 'choose side' screen, and the type of battle, followed by the purchase unit screen. At no point does it ask me if I wish to import troops from the previous battle.

Update:

Okay, just for kicks I went back into CMAK and started a quick battle using a map from a pre-designed scenario (!Tutorial - Relay Race), and it did ask if I wanted to import troops. Similarly, I can load maps from pre-designed scenarios.

So, it appears that I cannot import troops or maps from quick battles where the map was computer generated, but can in the case where the map/troops were hand created/placed by a scenario designer. Am I wrong in this assumption?

When doing PBEM, I generally use quick battles and computer generated maps so that neither I nor my opponent have any previous experience with the situation. I would like to be able to then play a second or third scenario using the same map and reverse the situation (ie counterassault of a held position if one of us manages to take the objective), or give the other player a second chance with reinforcements vs my old troops (if he doesn't push me off my objective), which is not possible using just the quick battle interface, due to the limitation that quick battles always have the axis attacking from one side of the map and the allies from the other.

One needs to be able to go into the scenario editor and change the allied/axis setup zones to reverse the situation. In addition, if the randomizer creates a fairly good map, I would like to be able to save it and use it to create a scenario for future use, but can't seem to get this to function.

So, I guess the question boils down to - Is there any way to import a map or troops from a computer generated quick battle? If yes, what is the correct way to do this (since I'm apparently not doing it right)? If not, is it possible for this to be changed in a future update?

Originally posted by Pig Dog:

So, it appears that I cannot import troops or maps from quick battles where the map was computer generated, but can in the case where the map/troops were hand created/placed by a scenario designer. Am I wrong in this assumption?

For me it works for quick battles too. All you have to do is wait for the end of the scenario (or make cease-fire or surrender), then during AAR go view map, then save the game. Now this save can be used for another QB, no other. What you can't do is load it into the scenario editor.

I think if you let the computer generate the QB map, you can't load it into Scenario Editor. You can import that kind of map and troops into next QB, but you can't edit setup zones between battles.

If you want a computer generated map and make the setup zones so that they work in 2 battles in row, I think you should go to Scenario Editor, choose the map size you want and press Generate Random Map button. Then without previewing the map, edit setup zones and save the map. Use this map in your quick battles.

Yes, that looks like what I'll probably wind up doing, creating the map in the scenario editor and loading that into the qb...

I still cannot however get it to import my troops from a previous quick battle. It'll import the map, but when I go to the buy screen, no dice. I *can* import forces from regular scenario maps, but that's the only way I succeed. It still never asks me to import forces from one quickbattle map to the next.

*shrugs* Oh well...