Battlefront is now Slitherine ×

AFVs unbuttoning

Apache

IIRC in CMBB one of the patches 'fixed' a problem with your AFVs unbuttoning so they stayed buttoned if you buttoned them. If so, has that feature been carried across to CMAK? I've had quite a few unbuttoning though I'm not 100% certain they unbutton when under fire. I have had a few TCs killed but it may be through turret penetrations or armour flaking.

That patch said that your tanks would stay buttoned for at least a full turn if you order them buttoned, not that they'll stay sealed-up indefinitely. After all, some of these tanks without proper cupolas or periscopes are practically blind when buttoned!

I haven't had much trouble with tanks buttoning and unbuttoning excessively. I push my Churchills forward into heavy mg fire and the commanders are more than happy to stay buttoned up for several turns at a stretch. If the fire slackens they are likely to pop their heads out to take a peek around.

If you believe BFC should change the protocol and let you keep your guys buttoned-up for extended periods I think a tank with nobody top-side should take a severe hit on situational awareness. To my mind a tank with a man out of action currently seems to operate much more efficiently than it aught. In the good old days the tank would be shocked and useless for half the battle!

[ March 01, 2004, 02:45 PM: Message edited by: MikeyD ]

**** Possible Spoiler****************************

I just had a situation earlier which kind of p*ssed me off. I was playing HSG: Welcome to Africa. I'll try not to give it away. I was about to win with no casualties when one of my PSW 222's rather stupidly decided to unbutton. This naturally drew some unwanted attention & resulted in a casualty. The AC crew, being shocked, backed off costing me a Victory Flag. I still won but didn't do as well as I would have if that 222 crew had stayed buttoned.

I had a situation in CMBB where my (Vet/Crack Panzer) un-buttoned while engaged with obvious threats. As the turn progressed and more and more threats appeared (packs of T-34's bearing down on him) and fired on the Panzer, he still persisted in remaining unbuttoned.

You can guess the rest...

My opponent stated that I had to (during the orders phase) un-button and immediately re-button my tank to keep him shut for 1 turn.

It appears the game engine can't handle decision making for remaining buttoned with visual, known and engaged, threats.

Maybe in CMX2...

Ken

The only thing that was changed in CMBB and CMAK 1.01 (but not CMAK 1.00) is that if you manually close a tank it will stay closed for the following turn. Thereafter it is subject to the same automatic opening as always.

Personally I go through all my AFVs every turn and those that are buttoned I unbutton and re-button. Only thing to do.

[ March 03, 2004, 08:32 AM: Message edited by: redwolf ]