My problem is weird! Help!!!

Okay I hope You have patience to read this throu,

I have tried everything (to my understanding).

- re-installed drivers for GeF4 MX 420 (NVidia 30.82)

- tried different FSAA settings

- updated SB Live! drivers

- installed newest directx (8.1b)

- tried different resolution

- checked the registry (regedit)

- i even got another CMBB from the shop! smile.gif

I have Win ME (finnish language setting), AMD Athlon 1600+, MS K7T Turbo2

motherboard (integrated soundcard)

I have long time go disabled that integrated soundcard. I have tried diffrent IRQ settings by unplugging the devices...

Let me explain what happens.

There is 2 different things actually:

1. Clicking shortcut or .exe file starup picture is shown. That's it. It freezes there. Task Manager shows 2 new apps running (no reply) "Combat Mission 2" and "~f1d055"?

2. Sometimes clicking the shortcut activates Wise Installation software on a cdrom. Intallation window pop up ans says I already have Combat Mission 2 installed and gives to buttons: "Re-Install" and "Play". Clicking the play-button pops up 2 error messages, first one in finnish let see if I can translate it right:

"Windows cannot find c:\games\combat~1\xxxxx. Targets name is probably written incorrectly in Execute-window or another active application cannot find the system file. You can try to fing the file clicking by Start and then Search."

Whhen click OK the second error appears(in enlish):

"Could not execute external program c:\games\combat~1\xxxxx."

Afterwards I Quit those programs but Explorer tree locks up and CDROM doesn't show up, but this is sometimes solved just pressing eject-button. (?)

thanks in advance for any help! smile.gif

I have no idea how CDV has compressed their files and setup their installer. Are you saying that you are unable to install the program and instead you get the above mentioned errors or are you able to actually install the program to your hard drive ?

I'm not familiar with the differences that may exist in the Finnish version of Windows, so there may be problems with my next suggestion. You may want to double-check CMBB's installed directory and modify the shortcut file to match it exactly (rather than having the '~' tilde in the path). Do you have any other English language games that are launched with shortcuts ? If so do they have '~' tildes in the path to the executable ?

If an 'unwise installer/uninstaller' app launches for CM, I'd suggest just closing it and not using it in the future to launch CM..

I'd suggest closing down anything else that is running in the background, such as anti-virus programs, internet messaging clients and any other utility. A Ctrl-Alt-Del should list what's running . You'll want to leave Explorer and Systray loaded up, but almost everything else is optional and may be conflicting somehow. In fact you may want to uninstall CMBB, before the 'close down of all apps' and then reinstall CMBB. Again you'll want to double-check any shortcut's path to the executable and then see if CMBB will run properly or not.

If you continue to have problems, then I suggest contacting CDV's support and see what they know about your Finnish version of Windows ME and CMBB (they'll probably know nothing, but maybe they'll look into it).

Originally posted by Helldorado:

"Windows cannot find c:\games\combat~1\xxxxx. Targets name is probably written incorrectly in Execute-window or another active application cannot find the system file. You can try to fing the file clicking by Start and then Search."

Whhen click OK the second error appears(in enlish):

"Could not execute external program c:\games\combat~1\xxxxx."

This "~" looks like there is a problem with the filename shortening mechanism. As you might know Microsoft in their %^%&*&&*( wisdom had only 8.3 charatcters for DOS. Windows conatins code to handle this, via automatic shortening, with "~"s, as you see here, for DOS applications.

Your Windows installer and Windows app is not supposed to mess with this in any way, however it does, otherwise you wouldn't see this in the error messages.

I would recommend burning a copy of the CD contents, with the Combat Mission install program renamed to something which is only 8.3 long. That will make it find it even when it messes things up via this automatic shortenening.

Of course this CD will not play, but if you are lucky it will install and you can then play with the original one.

Yes, game installs (according to the install software) just fine.

I have only explorer and Systray running in the background. There isn't any SafeDisc in cdrom...

Contents of C:\games\CMBB (CDV, US English):

INSTALL.LOG

UNWISE.EXE

BMP<DIR><5834 files>

WAV<DIR><2324 files>

OpenPlay.dll

OpenPlay Modules<dir><tcpip.lib and .dll>

SCENARIOS<DIR><70 files>

ReadMe.txt

cdv.url

cdv.ico

battlefront.url

Manual.pdf

Combat Mission 2.exe

Contetents of CD (labeled as CMBB):

00000001.TMP

ADOBE<DIR><install 5.0 version>

DrvMgt.dll

HDA<DIR><hd.dat file>

MANUAL<DIR><Finnish Manual>

ReadMe.txt

SECDRV.SYS

Setup.exe(577603kb)

autorun.inf

I just checked with my friens settings after install (w2k, radeon):

Directory of C:\Program Files\Combat Mission 2

05.10.2002 22:28 <DIR> .

05.10.2002 22:28 <DIR> ..

23.07.2002 12:43 battlefront.url

04.10.2002 18:05 <DIR> bmp

23.09.2001 21:05 cdv.ico

29.09.2000 12:52 cdv.url

04.10.2002 18:35 Combat Mission BB Prefs

09.08.2002 05:49 CombatMission2.exe

04.10.2002 18:08 INSTALL.LOG

05.09.2002 13:03 Manual.pdf

04.10.2002 18:07 <DIR> OpenPlay Modules

30.11.2000 06:09 OpenPlay.dll

04.10.2002 18:11 <DIR> PBEM

04.10.2002 18:11 <DIR> Quick Battle Maps

07.08.2002 10:06 ReadMe.txt

04.10.2002 18:35 <DIR> Saved Games

04.10.2002 18:07 <DIR> Scenarios

28.09.2001 17:00 UNWISE.EXE

04.10.2002 18:07 <DIR> wav

Realizing that I'm missing folders!

PBEM, Quick Battle Maps. And Combat Mission Prefs.?? This is sad and odd...

The missing prefs are normal, they are created when playing, not when installing. The quick battle maps are probably hand-created by your friend. PBEM is not needed to run.

You may notice that there is a space in the combat mission 2.exe in your version and no space in your friend's installation.

What happens when you double-click on your *.exe directly (from Windows exploder)?

If that fails, copy it to cmbb.exe (or somefink similar short) and click that.

[ October 05, 2002, 04:51 PM: Message edited by: redwolf ]