Problems Hosting TCP/IP Games

PzTwt

I have a home network with 4 PCs and 3 Macs on it, plus various printers and other network devices. The network runs through a Netgear FS116 fast ethernet switch (16 ports) into a Netgear Router for Internet access. I have opened the recommended ports using the router's port forwarding table as recommended by the CM manual and mapped the relevant PC's IP address to the open port.

However, my opponents still can't connect to my machine when I supply the IP. Am I missing something? Has anyone else experienced similar problems? Can anyone help? Many thanks in advance...

Sorry, forgot to mention the OS... it's Win XP SP2 (fully patched) and port 7023 is open both ways - at the routers forwarding table and the firewall of the relevant PC.

When you mention supplying the IP of my router, I presume you mean getting my opponent to connect. I use whatsmyip.org to establish my IP address, as the IP of the PC running CM is an internal (192.168.xx.xx) address.

Is there a way of checking (similar to ping or ipconfig perhaps) if I have the correct port is actually open both ways?

Is there anything else I'm missing? Thanks for the reply.

Originally posted by Panzertwat (FGM):

Is there a way of checking (similar to ping or ipconfig perhaps) if I have the correct port is actually open both ways?

I've used www.canyouseeme.org/ to check if port 7023 is open and it tells me 'connection refused'. Am I correct in thinking that this implies the port isn't open?

According to the router, it is open and mapped to the correct PC (it's mapped to 192.168.xx.xx). Is there another reason why I might be getting this message?

Connection refused, my guess would be that it is blocked on your side too. I just tried at my work and I got a "connection timed out" error and I realized that our commercial firewall has had the rule removed that opened up TCP 7023 for me (so the connection should be refused/dropped).

One potential tool you could use is NMap, though I don't know exactly how useful it is to direct at yourself. You may need to have a friend that you can trust run it against your IP and see what it comes up with in terms of open ports.

Which specific Netgear router are you using and has it been updated with the latest firmware (from Netgear or possibly your ISP) ? I can check through the documentation to see if there is anything possibly wrong with the port forwarding procedure.

I would think it a bit rare nowadays that an ISP would be blocking certain high-numbered TCP/UDP Ports for residentail/small business users, but it is a minor possibility.

"Connection refused" means the port is open and actually reaches the computer (that means goes through all routers and firewalls) but there is no program running on that port on that computer.

However, some stupid routers or firewalls fake a "connection refused" instead of just blocking although they do not let it go through.

Schrullenhaft, thanks for your reply - I think I'm sorted now (see below).

Wow! What can I say - massive thanks Redwolf. I was sure I had configured the router and firewall properly, but like a doughnut failed to realise that the CM program actually had to be 'listening' to get a positive response.

Your IP teller is bang on in every respect - got my 'external' IP, the relevant PC's LAN IP and correctly told me what was going on with the relevant port.

All I have to do now is wait for my regular opponent and I to finish work today and we can resume playing TCP again.

Once again, many thanks.

[ November 23, 2006, 04:06 AM: Message edited by: Panzertwat (FGM) ]