British units in Palestine 1948

Hans

Any British unit grogs out there know which units were in Jaffa in April 1948? These were the units that fought a short action with the Irgun & Haganah to stop them from attacking Arab Jaffa. One Brit tank was reportedly taken out by a Israeli PIAT during this fighting.

Any ideas on which Brit Regiment/Battalion this was? Could it have been the 2nd Battalion The Royal Lincolnshire Regiment?????

Originally posted by oren_m:

I found it!

The name of the british unit which was stationed in jaffa is:

2nd Battalion The Royal Lincolnshire Regiment.

Thanks Oren_m I wonder if we both got that from the same on line source?

Is there nothing in the Hebrew sources under Irgun and Haganah history about who they fought a pitched battle with? I found that odd..

Another piece of Israeli history you might be able to help me on

Master Sergeant Desmond Rutledge, British tanker who deserted from the British forces with his Cromwell tank. I believe he changed his name to Zvi Rimer? Is there anything in the Hebrew on his fights with the Cromwell in the 48 war?

Originally posted by junk2drive:

While we are on the Brits, why do infantry tanks have AP rounds?

I was looking at the German captured Val and Matilda, and found the same under the Brits.

My guess is if the infantry comes under attack from an armoured vehicle. But some HE would be nice.

British doctrine in the early part of the war called for soft targets to be engaged with MGs, while the main guns were reserved for enemy armor. They did have a few CS tanks armed with the low velocity 3" howitzers, but only a few, and they carried very limited HE ammo (mostly smoke rounds). It wasn't until the Grants showed up that the Brits finally had a decent HE chucker.

Originally posted by oren_m:

i found great aireal pictures of the tel-aviv-jaffa area from 1948, i'm looking for some information about it also, the only problem is that it's all in hebrew, so i'll try to translate it properly!

Oren - I want those!

E-mail me: webs(at)101squadron.com

Originally posted by junk2drive:

So, soon I will have my 70 troops fighting MR35s in Degania A ?

Actually you'll have a few more Israelis than that - to include Moshe Dayan, I'm making it into an operation, covering five days. The tank attack on Degania will be day three.

Originally posted by Webs:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by oren_m:

I have sent the translated maps to webs, i would like to send them to you also but i dont have your e-mail.

So you did. I found it in my spam folder, though. smile.gif </font>

Possibly oren_m could send it to me, I could resend it to Hans.

Any AIW grogs know what colour armour was used?

TO&Es that I find show US Brit French and Soviet. Some salvaged from the desert, some purchased from European salavge yards.

Were they repainted desert tan? camo? or left green?

Any roundels on the turrets?