Camo Grogs

I think this is a color pattern for a Stuart for the assault of Namur. A small island. The track-link website has a color verion pic for a model. Very striking.

On the uniforms, there was a beach pattern pattern, first used at Tarawa, that was later on reduced to just the helmet cover while the uniform was a lightweight grey. The tent cover around the backpack was also the beach camo.

However I have seen drawings and pictures where the jacket was beach camo but the pants were grey.

Mike

"The camo used at sea has been called razzle-dazzle."

And that's what that blue camou job on the Brit early war tanks in the game is too! Its amazing how razzle-dazzle caught on considering how counter-intuitive it is. I heard/read that the weird scheme played havoc with old optical coincidence rangefinders. In the desert like at sea, if you can't pin down an object's range you're not going to hit it. Over in Europe where you can 'guesstimate' an object's range by comparing its size to nearby structures razzle-dazzle would be ineffective.

Originally posted by MikeyD:

"The camo used at sea has been called razzle-dazzle."

And that's what that blue camou job on the Brit early war tanks in the game is too! Its amazing how razzle-dazzle caught on considering how counter-intuitive it is. I heard/read that the weird scheme played havoc with old optical coincidence rangefinders. In the desert like at sea, if you can't pin down an object's range you're not going to hit it. Over in Europe where you can 'guesstimate' an object's range by comparing its size to nearby structures razzle-dazzle would be ineffective.

You are correct, artists & especially theatrical set designers ( who really do know how to fool the eye ) developed it under goverment direction. Experiments showed that it in fact, worked at medium/long ranges, the targeting vessel had trouble getting the bearing, range, course, etc ...radar put an end to it.