Sneak Preview of Very First CMAK Mod--UPDATED!!

Ok, so I'm either an amazing visionary, a pathetic dweeb with way too much time on my hands, or perhaps merely a semi-talented guy with a Mac, a copy of PhotoShop and an yearning for a thing called CMAK!

So I got ahold of a few desert war uniform pix (courtesy of various members of this very forum) and started farting around, and a few days and a lot of missed sleep later I came up with this,

ak1.jpg

which is meant to represent early-war Afrika Korps infantry. I think it looks pretty good. Here's a back view:

ak2.jpg

I couldn't leave well enough alone and decided to ditch the "cut-n-paste" the photo of field gear approach and I drew all, well, almost all, the field gear by hand in PhotoShop, using secret techniques only known to myself and the elves who help me occasionally. Actually, the belt buckle and some of the insignia are derived from photos. And I lied about the elves, too. smile.gif

More in the pipeline. I figured I'd get them done early and then maybe play the game for a change, when it's released.

Personally, I think BFC should front me a free copy of the game because not only am I a swell guy, but the pre-release of a mod will inspire perhaps dozens of rabid modsluts to purchase CMAK just to use this mod! ;):D

[ October 13, 2003, 08:27 PM: Message edited by: AndrewTF ]

Andrew..... :D:D:D

A simply beautiful mod.....really outstanding!! I think you have surpassed your earlier works of art (in CMBB,IMHO)!! You might make a khaki pith-helmet as an option, as the pictures I have seen of the first arrivals in N. Africa were wearing that item...! And, finally....I'll actually see the Ramke Brigade with khaki uniforms!! Yeeaahh!

I think that the CMAK mods (as they are made), should be uploaded to CM Mods Database....so the mod junkies (such as myself)may begin to download a fix!! Thank you alot..... :D

Moshe

"Come,let us peel back the foreskin of misconception and apply the wire brush of enlightenment."

You might make a khaki pith-helmet as an option
Those 'coal scuttle' helmets are hard coded. You can't make pith helmets unless BFC gave them pith helmets in the first place. If I remember rightly I think I've seen some pith helmeted troops in one of the screenies. Italians I think.

Great work Andrew.

Originally posted by Axe2121:

I like the detail on the boots.

There is no detail on the boots. Maybe you're thinking of the leggings, which look superb. But Limey may be right about the boots being hard coded.

Concerning the helmets, most pics I see of the Afrika Korps troops show them wearing the khaki cloth cap, but I wonder if they put their helmets back on when the shooting started.

Michael

Gordon - you may be right there... but that's for the courts to decide. You can address further correspondence to my attorney tongue.gif . Actually I forgot about your Matilda mod from way back, so that is probably the first CMAK mod. I'm sticking to my sensationalistic title, though. smile.gif

Moshe - Ramcke brigade uniforms are in the works. smile.gif

All the rest of you - yeah, they look new and clean, that's because they're *supposed* to look that way. Through the magic of Photoshop adjustment layers, I'll be offering versions in various stages of weathering and fading. May I remind you that I don't even have the stinkin' game yet, so don't expect perfection now.

These actually started life as an updated uniform set for MikeT's famous DFDR mod, but were set aside when CMAK was announced. I worked them over completely in the last week to bring them up to my current standards.

I'd like to start on the British and Americans, but they're going to have to wait for now.

And what's wrong with the boots? Given the limitations of the 3D model I think they look pretty good. :confused:

Originally posted by Michael Emrys:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Axe2121:

I like the detail on the boots.

There is no detail on the boots. Maybe you're thinking of the leggings, which look superb. But Limey may be right about the boots being hard coded.

Concerning the helmets, most pics I see of the Afrika Korps troops show them wearing the khaki cloth cap, but I wonder if they put their helmets back on when the shooting started.

Michael </font>

Originally posted by AndrewTF:

And what's wrong with the boots? Given the limitations of the 3D model I think they look pretty good. :confused:

Since my main gripe is that they are the wrong shape, you are certainly right about the 3D model. But they also seem to be utterly lacking in detail. My first impression was to be reminded of the pictures I made in first grade by cutting out colored bits of construction paper and gluing them in place.

Don't take it personally, I'm just playing the critic. Like most critics, I couldn't do half this well if you gave me lessons!

:D

Michael

Originally posted by AndrewTF:

My understanding (although I could be wrong) was at least early on in the desert war AK troops were not issued steel helmets, only pith helmets and caps. Steel helmets were something of a luxury and had to be scrounged up by individuals.

I don't know either. Pics of troops in any kind of helmet are pretty rare and of the steel helmet are extremely rare. I've only seen one or two. But on the othe hand, in a coupld of accounts there was mention of troops in their steel helmets. Maybe it was a particular unit that brought theirs to the desert.

The pith helmet use by German troops seems to be mainly confined to the very early period when they first arrived in Tripoli. Pics of them after they get out into the desert rarely show them. May have been more common among the Italian soldiers, I don't know.

From the screenies we've been seeing it looks like the squads at least will be wearing helmets.
I hope that's just due to the "work in progress" thing and it will be corrected before the game is released. The khaki cloth cap (the precise name of which escapes me at the moment) is one of the trademarks of the Afrika Korps, more recognizable even than the palm tree swastika.

Michael

Originally posted by Axe2121:

Niggling groggy horseman. Don't you have a technical manual on armor penetration or sumfink to read? :mad:

Heh. Actually, that's not my bag. That degree of grogginess I leave to the real experts like Rexford. Unsubstantiated opinion mongering is more my line.

:D

Michael