28/20 AT gun?

Yeh, I love that little gun. As much punch as a 37mm Pak but (at least in CMBB) as stealthy as an anti-tank rifle.

Great gun textures too. ;)

My one beef with them in CMBB was listing it as a 20mm weapon in CMBB instead of 28mm. Their reasoning was 20mm was the size that the squeezed projectile exited the barrel. My argument was the standard for listing sub-caliber projectiles (HVAP, APDS, etc.) was the original caliber of the round, not the final product. I don't know how they're listing the gun in CMAK.

[ November 10, 2003, 04:12 PM: Message edited by: MikeyD ]

The gun is definitely in CMAK. I used some light armor that had them mounted. The performance is far beyond the 37mm PAK, incidentally. Particularly against flat angles, and at closer range. Behind armor effect tends to be a problem. But I've killed T-34s with them through the turret front, at ranges too far for the tanks to see me back. Try that with a 37mm "doorknocker".

Wehrmacht quartermasters disliked the guns because the barrels were VERY short lived.

The 28mm was still a handy weapon when available, although, it was probably better suited to wooded terrain or urban settings than the desert.

I believe it disappeared with the introduction of more lethal infantry-carried, shaped-charge weapons like the panzerfaust.

EZ

Barrels were one problem, supply of Wolfram (Tungsten) for the ammunition the other. A number of very promising squeeze-bore guns were developed, but shortage of metal for ammunition and the very heavy barrel wear (500 shots) killed them all off.

For its weight, the sPzB41 was a superb weapon - a stripped down version of it for airlanding use weighed just 118 kg (less than the average couch-potato), while the standard variety weighed 229kg, and it achieved far better results in the AT role than the PAK35/36 which weighed 435kg.

It could be found in AT companies on regimental level until early 1943 I believe. CMBB does not model the HE round that was available for the gun.

Wehrmacht quartermasters disliked the guns because the barrels were VERY short lived.
They probably disliked MGs because of the high rate of fire as well. Just give everybody rifles - lots easier to supply that way. tongue.gif

CMBB does not model the HE round that was available for the gun.
Maybe it's just me, but HE and taper-bore don't sound like a good combination, know what I mean?