Patch problem

I've been having a weird problem trying to install the 1.03 patch as well as a couple of other (but not all) programs. When I click on the patch, a dos window flashes and then closes. The same thing happens when I try to run the Nero 6 demo. So, as GJK suggested when I had a similar problem before, I ran the patch in a dos box and got the error (for the CMAK patch and then for Nero) "Program too big to fit in memory."

Now that doesn't make any sense, as I have 768 Meg of RAM (Windows XP SP2, AMD 1800+, Asus A7V266). Both Belarc and Windows Task Manager show the RAM; task manager says 596M available.

I've tried rebooting and trying to install the batch right away, and I seem to be virus and spybot free. So I'm not sure what could be causing this problem. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Do a Ctrl-Alt-Del and click on the button for Task Manager. Make sure that no programs are running in the Applications tab, then click over to the Processes tab and here you'll have to do some culling. 'Svchost.exe','explorer.exe','System Idle Process','System','SMSS.EXE','WINLOGON.EXE','SERVICES.EXE', 'LSASS.EXE' are some of the programs that will need to remain running (and you probably wouldn't be successful in attempting to end them anyway). You will probably want to close anything else that is running (though this could effect some of your hardware). I'd also suggest turning off your anti-virus while you do the upgrade. If you don't trust the file, scan it beforehand.

The idea here is to unload as much as possible. You should have enough RAM to do almost anything you care to, but some processes may be interfering with these files and their extractors.

Do you get this message after rebooting, but not running the patch ? You may need to check your hard drive with chkdsk c: /f from the command prompt (which will require a reboot in order to run). After this you may want to scan your hard drive for viruses and spyware. After that you should re-download the 1.03 patch and attempt reinstalling it.

SUCCESS! Thanks for all of your help...but I still don't understand what the problem was. :(

J2d: Disk space wasn't the problem - I had 50 gig free on an 80 gig HD.

Schrullenhaft: ran chkdsk, no problems. Had previously checked for spyware and viruses, none. Re-downloaded, still no luck...and I still couldn't delete the file. So, frustration - but everything else on my computer runs well.

But I did notice a kind of odd think about the downloaded file - my CMAK 1.01 patch had an icon that consisted of a picture of a computer monitor, with a CD in front of it and what looks like a CD box to the side of it. The CMAK 1.03 patch's icon (as well as the Nero 6 demo) was a white rectangle a blue bar at the top - with three white dots on the right-hand side of the bar. So, anyway, on a whim I downloaded the CMAK Patch to a different location - the desktop - and this time it appeared as the monitor/CD/box icon. And it installed with no difficulty. Plus, after it installed, I was able to drag the file into the folder holding the uncooperative download and the new one icon replaced the old one (other re-downloads to the same place seemed to replace the file but kept the same icon.)

So, anyway, I'm no less confused, but much happier. :D

I'd be interested in any explanations of what happened, though.