Spotting question

My forces are directly engaging an enemy infantry unit (i.e., not using area fire). When the enemy infantry unit gets eliminated, what factors determine whether it gets replaced with a nationality icon, or an eliminated unit symbol (i.e., dead soldier depiction)?

I'm assuming there has to be a difference from normal spotting, because I already had the enemy infantry unit in sight.

Depending on the terrain, it can be possible to see a squad that is standing up or on its knees,but not when it's lying down, alive or dead. That would explain why the dead squad still shows up as an icon. Your men can't tell if they died if they are pinned.

This is a fog-of-war issue. In extreme fog-of-war all your side knows is the enemy's stopped firing and is no longer peeking his head over the foxhole. So unless you're standing right over the body you get a 'last know' position marker. The same event in partial fog-of-war and your side knows the enemy's stopped firing because he's officially kaput.