Are my Tank Hunter Teams Camp??

Oh fellow tree huggers and lovers of all things sweet and innocent, what am I to do about my Camp Tank Hunter Teams?

Picture this, the battle is in the high 30's, I have taken out everything other than one American M10 ?? tank hunter on the German right hand flank, which came down the right hand side from the wheat field and stopped 1/2 way down to the German line. Where my veteran Tank Hunter Team fully kitted out with 2 grenade bundles etc was arriving. The Tank Hunter Team sneaks up on rear of the tank that is buttoned up and facing the other way with no infantry around.

So there they are, 30+ metres away, and targeting the tank. We zoom in to enjoy this tactical and moral victory over this tank, and... nothing. So for the next minute I target the tank for my little guys, and... they chuck a two small grenades!! The next minute one small grenade.

So the yank tank moves 30 metres up the road to get a shot at my Tiger, (which in the end did not see it till it started to nail it, which ended up being too late) the Tank Hunter Team just watched.

Well that did it, I sent them on a one way mission, I made them run into the open to within 10 metres of the tank, and guess what, they attacked even though they were now under fire.

Any suggestions on how to my Camp Tank Hunter Teams to attack in this situation?

I thought they can use explosives up to 23 meters or so.

When you use the target command with tank hunter teams or engineers and point at the target, you will see something like "use explosives" when it is possible.

When you dont see this text, they only throw grenades.

Monty

Wisbech_lad,

You might be right, as the M10 rear end is a little full for my liking I did not give the thought the due it derserved. But each to thier own :D

I would have thought that after I had targeted the tank for them that they might have moved the extra metre or so to make a proper attack. But in hindsite this must not be the case.

What would happen if I used the contact command, so that they only went as far as required and I did not move them further than needed. Or would the contact be already inacted by the proximity of the tank?

Thanks for the input.

My experience with grenade bundles is that the tank hunter team should try to get within 25 meters before they will use their bundles. I think 30 meters is too far away. It's that last 5 to 10 meters that are dangerous because they usually have to expose themselves in order to get the job done. Risky business.

I have found this to be one of the most fun and exciting parts of the game. For the men who were assigned this task they probably wanted to vomit before they set out to do it.

Originally posted by flamingknives:

I didn't say it made sense, I just said that's how far I've seen it go in CM.

It's a bit of a stretch that grenade bundles and demo charges go 30m and then hit something.

Abstraction is a wonderful thing, but you have to know that it's there, or things just look peculiar.

Good point. Sometimes the men may look like they should be able to pull something off but because of this "abstract" situation the reality is they might not. I have learned to offer these frustrating times up to luck. Not easy to do because you think that you are in control, after all, you are issuing the orders.

A good way to look at it is the physical game representation of the combat squad. 9+ men are represented by an animated BMP of three men running around. Well...where are the other 6? They are there but spread out and probably in various states of readiness.

I think many CM situations are abstracted, especially when it comes to infantry. It's kind of a tough situation because the armor seems to fight in a less abstracted way. When you see infantry incapable of performing something you put them in a position to do, you have to say, "Oh well. I'll try again next turn if they survive and the situation still requires it."