Christmas at Manhay

Has anyone else reached the conclusion that our bazookas are unreliable (to say the least?) These guys had a job to do and they really blew it :rolleyes: - taking out the lead panther would have set them back atleast 5-10 minutes. Fun scenario though! ;)

http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a266/chuck055/CMAK/Pos1.jpg

http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a266/chuck055/CMAK/ResultPos1.jpg

a) Shooting thru woods reduces hit probability.

B) Suppression reduces hit prob.

c) Flat flank shots are best for zooks - if you want penetrations from your hits

So be patient and button the tanks with MG fire or something. Keep them occupied with something else far away from the zooks. Overlapping covered arcs work best. The covered arc of the feint is 10m further down the road than that of the zooks.

Dependingon your opponent's skill, your tactics should be more complex.

Gruß

Joachim

Consider also that the Zook made its debut in NA, where the majority of Axis AFVs were MkIIIs/IVs (minus skirts) and Italian deathcans, and didn't see much in the way of upgrades. What the US was using in the Ardennes was basically the same weapon as was used in Tunisia.

Thanks guys...

This is the next position which DID cause some problems for the attacking force. The bazooka team was located about fifty meters further into the woods from the visible squad in the top right area of the map. I think this scenario was quite realistic a worked my view so I was the commander of the sherman - actually got butterflies waiting for the panthers to come out of the woods. Pretty cool! ;)

http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a266/chuck055/CMAK/NextPos.jpg

Sportsguy64,

Unfortunately, the game doesn't model ordnance reliability, but you could argue that your woes simulate an actual problem the Gen One bazookas had:

unreliable electrical firing mechanisms using battery power. Later models incorporated the same batteryless magneto system the Germans used on the Panzerschreck. Presto! Problem solved!.

Winter woods don't offer much concealment, and your bazooka man has no foxhole or trench, thus is fully exposed. You should also know that the AI puts top priority on bazooka type weapons and flamethrowers. Unsurprisingly, it appears that as soon as he was seen, he got shot at and wound up face down in the snow.

Regards,

John Kettler

[ July 02, 2006, 04:22 AM: Message edited by: John Kettler ]