Game Physics question

When you look at the penatration tables for a Ger 50mm AT weapon it has 100M=94mm 500M=77mm etc.

When you engage a tank at 350m does the game caluclate the penatration value for the actual distance or does it just do a round off to the nearest value?

Also does it add to the penatration value for less than 100M?

I'd really like to see a BFC guy post (it's prob been done), the bare bones, 'How penetrations are calculated'.

The developers at Cornered Rats Software actually posted screen shots of development test data on thier physics model. They showed the penetration point and angle, then the penetrator's path, the point the HE went off, the spall pattern, all color coded lines on a 'skeleton' of the vehicles...that thread went on forever and was really enlightening. I'll see if I can find it...

panhardded4ju.th.jpg

panhardclearded4jb.th.jpg

The second image is of course showing the first image without the artwork; i.e. modelling of engine, crew...critical components. The horizontal darker red line is the shot line, yellow is spall, red is shrapnel.

They posted all kinds of examples...that is a Panhard being hit with a 50mm AP round from a PIIIh (I presume the L42) at 50mm.

[ May 28, 2005, 06:58 AM: Message edited by: athlete ]

Yeah, well, terrain features is not currently one of the game's high points..though I haven't really played in 6 months; by now they might have wheatfields and stuff.

The following by comparison is a Pz3h at range vs a 2lber round striking the frontal, 60mm thick armour....*plink*

pziiihvs2lber8aj.th.jpg

Originally posted by athlete:

I'd really like to see a BFC guy post (it's prob been done), the bare bones, 'How penetrations are calculated'.

There has been extensive discussion in the past on the penetration model - basically, there is no "chart"; each penetration is calculated separately based on a formula. The data you see on the AFV chart is to give you a rough idea of a weapon's effectiveness, but the chart isn't used in resolving an actual shot.

Originally posted by Lord Peter:

[/qb]

There has been extensive discussion in the past on the penetration model - basically, there is no "chart"; each penetration is calculated separately based on a formula. The data you see on the AFV chart is to give you a rough idea of a weapon's effectiveness, but the chart isn't used in resolving an actual shot. [/QB]