Does anyone out there use 3-D glasses w/CM?

I used Elza Revelator or whatchacallum a couple of years ago with CMBO and CMBB. Works great. Really enhances some stuff (like the beauty of the 3D vehicles; I assume that with the additional polygons of CMAK, this effect is even better), but also emphasizes some of the shortcuts taken in the engine to allow for the big maps (e.g. flat trees). Overall though, I never regretted getting the glasses. You could even make 3D screenshots and all that - pretty cool. The only thing is that they didn't work on flat screen monitors IIRC.

Martin

I dunno, Colonel... those glasses on your face when playing CM may be a little difficult to hide from your wife. Not to mention, by the time I get to your part of the world for a processor upgrade, she'll slay me at the door! "So, this is the guy who talked you into this stuff!"

IF I end up getting those glasses down the road, your name will be left out of it Hpt. Lisse! I will only use them when she's fallen asleep and I've snuck upstairs to battle (or if she's out of town). ;)

As for the upgrade of the motherboard,if you make it to the Atlanta area for such an "operation", you will be well taken care of --- because we can both cook. Of course a LAN battle will be in order as well. :D

P.S. Carl: will you be home tonight? I'd like to figure out this wierd inability to enter combat mission without alt-tabbing....

I have a pair of 3d glasses. Not sure what brand at the moment. I have used them for CMBO and found it enjoyable to watch the movies with them. However, the drivers can't handle a mixture of 2d and 3d. In CMBO, the lines drawn around the units wouldn't appear properly. The box would appear on either side of the unit instead of around it. I usually turned the glasses off during plotting and use them only for the movies.

They are pretty good for most FPS games. Other games that mix the 3d and 2d also have problems. For example, Freedom Force, Warcraft 3and Neverwinter Nights loses the 2d graphics around the boarders. That means no pictures, stats or buttons. Makes the games unplayable.

As for NVidia drivers, they don't seem to release their 3d glasses drivers anywhere as near as often as their other drivers. This means that upgrading your video driver can cause the glasses to no longer work. One other thing, you need a monitor that has a refresh rate of at least 80 Hertz. My monitor can't hit that fast and it causes a lot of flickering that can give you a headache.

If you can try them with the games you play and return them if you don't like them, that would be the optimal solution. Otherwise, I would recommend holding off.

Huh, interesting. These next-generation 3Dimensional glasses are supposed solve alot of the problems you're talking about, without inducing extra eye-strain. Their site is littered with recommendations from every legit PC rag I've read. And they just released a brand-new driver for it (Nvidia, 56.64 drivers). However, the CM screen does have 2-D toolbar in it, and I'm not sure how that would render out.

Edit: Though, it does list a minimum refresh rate of 70 Hz, with higher ones preferrable. Which isn't a problem for my rig, but could be for others.

[ March 25, 2004, 07:34 PM: Message edited by: Hpt. Lisse ]

I'd been having problems with my machine taking a few minutes to boot. So, last week, I decided to blow my machine away and start fresh, hoping it would fix the long boot. No such luck. So, I spent part of this weekend finishing the reinstallation of some of my software. I looked at the drivers you mentioned and found them to be newer than what I had. So, I installed bothe the video and 3d drivers. Now, my machine is back to the 30 second boot time it should have been at. I didn't get much of a chance to try anything. I loaded Silent Storm for a minute. It looked pretty good, but I got summoned by my wife and couldn't mess around with it to see how it played with the 3d.