OT - World War One Game Available ?

war2004

Hello,

I took a look around the Internet using Google and Meta-Critic for a WW1 genre game but it seems the very few that are available are panned by the critics.

My question is:

Would you please recommend a WW1 game to me.

I am wondering why there is so little interest in the WW1 genre for wargames. Perhaps, because it is mostly infantry just moving back and forth over no-manz-land and trenches being pounded by artillery and machine gun fire. Adding up to very little strategy.

Comments welcome.

Cordially

Originally posted by war2004:

Hello,

I took a look around the Internet using Google and Meta-Critic for a WW1 genre game but it seems the very few that are available are panned by the critics.

My question is:

I am wondering why there is so little interest in the WW1 genre for wargames. Perhaps, because it is mostly infantry just moving back and forth over no-manz-land and trenches being pounded by artillery and machine gun fire. Adding up to very little strategy.

Comments welcome.

Cordially

You may want to learn the difference between strategy and tactics.

What type of "game" are you looking for?

a) PC

B) board

and

a) tactical

B) operational

c) strategic

One can think of examples of all of these, in classic form - from TRENCHFOOT to THE GUNS OF AUGUST.

Originally posted by Michael Dorosh:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by war2004:

Hello,

My question is:

Comments welcome.

Cordially

You may want to learn the difference between strategy and tactics.

What type of "game" are you looking for?

a) PC

B) board

and

a) tactical

B) operational

c) strategic

One can think of examples of all of these, in classic form - from TRENCHFOOT to THE GUNS OF AUGUST. </font>

I thought the Avalon Hill boardgame was 1914. I still love the dark shade of green they used for the German Corps. The map was gorgeous, but the hexes were a little cramped given all that went on in them. And it served as my introduction to Eisenbahnbautruppen.

I remember the old S&T had a minimalist but interesting looking tactical wargame called Soldiers, that even had a Japanese assault on a German position in the Far East.

Before its demise Command Magazine published several good treatments of WWI material, many by Ted Raicer.

And then there's always Paths of Glory.

Clash of Arms Games has a tactical game that deals with early tanks. I never digested the rules, but it did have a scenario that featured an infantry assault lead by a very junior officer named Erwin Rommel.

I for one would kind of enjoy a computerized tactical treatment of WWI. Now I won't go into the fact that I'm sick enough to actually enjoy the Battle of the Somme (and yes, I want to watch a three week artillery barrage), but the static trench warfare that we associate with WWI only applied to the Western Front from 1915 to early 1918. The Eastern Front was too large for the stalemate to develop, and some of the fighting that went on there was really interesting. And the guy who probably had an affair with the author of "Out of Africa" waged what may have been one of the most brilliant guerilla campaigns in history. His African troops loved him, and fifty years later when the German government decided to give some kind of monetary compensation to ex-Askaris they found that many of them still remembered German military drill (I suspect that goose-stepping is not the kind of thing you would ever forget once you learned to do it). And when the Nazis tried to recruit him because he was one of Germany's few great WWI war heroes, he told them where to shove it. (And there's a Richard Berg game about this campaign).

There was an interesting operational level boardgame from SPI years ago called To the Green Fields Beyond about the 1917 tank attack at Cambrai.

As for a new game, I am inclined to think one on the strategic or operational level would be more interesting than one on the tactical level, although there may well be exceptions.

Michael