target reference points

and they can be used to zero vehicles which have yet to move.

Looking at the index of the CMAK manual, I see that TRPs are discussed on pages 33, 82, 116, 120, and 121. You might want to look there too.

Regards

JonS

[ February 17, 2004, 10:01 PM: Message edited by: JonS ]

Originally posted by Michael Dorosh:

They also represent bore sighting of direct fire weapons such as MGs and anti-tank guns. Weapons in their original game-start position have a bonus for firing at targets immediately near the TRPs.

Machineguns??? :confused:

Yes, I know that in real life the MG's had to be ranged to fire with any accuracy over longer distances, but is this really modelled in CM? And how? Higher firepower rating? More likely to hit hard targets?

Yeh, I had been through the CMBB manual from stem to stern and played the game for about a year before finding out that TRPs help EVERYBODY. That was a big surprise. It definitely speeds up off-board artillery and mortars, and you don't need LOS for your on-board mortars, but it also improves the accuracy of mg and INFANTRY as well! My jaw dropped when I was told that!

• 1 year later...

1. TRP's allow your arty to be more accurate and faster.

2. FO WITHOUT LOS can target a TRP and still have good accuracy and relatively short delay, although less and more respectively than #1. FO can target out of LOS even without a TRP, but with horrible accuracy and long delay, EXCEPT, when plotted on turn #1 as "pre-planned" fire, in which case it's accurate and comes whenever you want it to. But you lose flexibility as you have to fire all your ammo in one go (which may span several turns) and can't change target or timing.

3. On-board mortars can target TRP's out of LOS as per #2, BUT, lose this ability once they move. Note : they do not need an HQ spotter to do this. Without a TRP, on-board mortars can fire out of LOS only when using an HQ spotter. NOTE: Newbie alert: HQ must NOT be hidden to spot, if hidden you will not be able to target out of LOS with on-board mortars.

4. Weapons targeting a unit near a TRP are more accurate. When you target such a unit, you will see "boresighted" in the targeting text. This is great fun, in a CMBB scenario I had a TRP on the crest of a hill were the Soviet armour was entering play, my 88 demolished 5 of them with 6 shots. Then they started to use a different route.

[ March 16, 2005, 08:37 AM: Message edited by: DrD ]

Originally posted by Kruztee:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Loeffe:

Target reference points also serve to hide (friendly) minefields from the newbie player, as I sadly experienced during my last PBEM.

That Pz IV crew must be pretty pissed that I ordered them to drive over my own AT mines. DOH! :-(

Hey Loeffe

You don't know how good it makes me feel to know that I'm not the only one who's ever done that =) </font>