New player help, please..

I realize I am way behind the curve, but I just bought the CM Anthology in anticipation of Strike Force. I need some help though.

Is there a beginner's FAQ somewhere? Or a site someone can recommend to me with newbie help?

My most pressing questions at the moment regard terrain, Line of sight, cursor speed, and unit capability.

1) Basically what I have been doing is changing the camera view to "flat", seeing where blind spots/ LOS will be available, and moving there. I use the LOS command from the menu as well, to ensure I my troops have sight of the enemy (hoepefully without them seeing me). Is this the "standard" way or am I missing something?

2) Is there a way to increase the speed at which the cursor keys allow me to scroll, pan, etc. the camera? Right now it's painfully slow and I end up using the buttons on the UI.

3) Is there somewhere I can look up what each unit can do or its' typical combat role?

Thanks

Originally posted by cuendillar:

I just bought the CM Anthology in anticipation of Strike Force.

Where have you been and what took you so long? tongue.gif

Is there a beginner's FAQ somewhere? Or a site someone can recommend to me with newbie help?

Someone else might be able to better advise you there.

1) Basically what I have been doing is changing the camera view to "flat", seeing where blind spots/ LOS will be available, and moving there. I use the LOS command from the menu as well, to ensure I my troops have sight of the enemy (hoepefully without them seeing me). Is this the "standard" way or am I missing something?

Yes, what you are doing is part of what you need to do. Alternatively, you can greatly enhabce the 3D visualisation of the terrain by using a height contrast gridded terrain mod.

Check them out HERE .

2) Is there a way to increase the speed at which the cursor keys allow me to scroll, pan, etc. the camera? Right now it's painfully slow and I end up using the buttons on the UI.

You can use CTRL+left click to jumo to a spot you point at with your mouse. Using the +/- button lets you cycle through from one unit to the next. TAB centres the camera view behind the unit selected.

3) Is there somewhere I can look up what each unit can do or its' typical combat role?

Press ENTER to view the unit stats. It won't tell you HOW to use the unit though, that's where you need to perhaps combine historical antecdotes on the unit with your own ingenuiity to work out how to best use the units at your disposal. You must also know your enemy! Consult your friendly weapons of WW2 website or book to get the historic low down of what you see in the game. There is a CMAK Companion book that may help in this resepct. Read more HERE.

Thanks

Enjoy the game. Make sure you play against a human opponent! Consult www.cmmods.com for graphical mods that can greatly enhance the visuals in the game.

cuendillar,

Welcome aboard! Here's the FAQ for CMBB, which is very similar to CMAK. The movement commands and such are practically identical, but there's no human wave attack order in CMAK, dust is in, as are tanks with multiple cannon mounts.

http://www.battlefront.com/discuss/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=23;t=004792

This should provide considerable help, despite being primarily geared to CMBO and CMBB.

http://www.battlefront.com/cgi-bin/bbs/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=7;t=000812

Here's the follow-on thread, which also includes CMAK.

http://www.battlefront.com/discuss/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=7;t=001648

CMAK Unit Data Base charts, Part 1.

http://www.battlefront.com/discuss/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=7;t=001663

Regards,

John Kettler

My advice is don't read JasonC's yet as you will get bogged down in reading. Most people learn to play quite happily without reading his useful research.

Just play with the game , remember to use the numbers to get higher up so you can scroll more quickly. play for about a fortnight doing silly things like racing up roads at top speed and just mess about. If you take scenarios seriously from the off you will get depressed - most scenarios are designed to be a challenge for those who have mastered the basics.

Play both sides to find out how depressed your infantry get depending what is firing at them - all of this stuff helps you understand when you start fighting for real.

cuendillar,

I highly recommend you start devouring the screenshot based lessons of Poor Old Spike, available here:

http://www.fewgoodmen.co.uk/forum/viewforum.php?f=3

A highly successful CM warrior, he has a mania for running tests and presenting the results via annotated screenshots, making the lessons easy to follow. This should make your eventual mastering of the games a much easier, less stressful progress.

Regards,

John Kettler

[ February 16, 2007, 12:50 AM: Message edited by: John Kettler ]