Could any other Company pull this off?

Originally posted by JasonC:

It shouldn't be too hard, actually. CM already has 25m suppression zones around the aim point of infantry FP. And it tracks individual shell impacts with a random model. Between the two, they have the systems they need to have a random dispersion of suppression field away from infantry FP shooters. Maybe it mostly just makes people duck - fine. If enough firing is going on, an occasional man gets hit. It can be tuned after it exists. But the basic idea is to have a dynamic "fp field" over the whole space, as units try to move around through it. Then they take suppression like fire (like being within 25m of an aim point is today) periodically while inside such a "fp field".

This is probably right - to do it right, you'd probably need to tune the shape of the fp field, and adjust its effects for the type(s) of cover as well as the firing unit. This is not trivial, of course, and I'm sure more complicated than I think - but it's not like you'd have to track each bullet individually or do something conceptually foreign to the game.

The thing I like about this suggestion is that it makes the game much more realistic without making it any more cumbersome to play.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Originally posted by Andrew Hedges:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by JasonC:

It shouldn't be too hard, actually. CM already has 25m suppression zones around the aim point of infantry FP. And it tracks individual shell impacts with a random model. Between the two, they have the systems they need to have a random dispersion of suppression field away from infantry FP shooters. Maybe it mostly just makes people duck - fine. If enough firing is going on, an occasional man gets hit. It can be tuned after it exists. But the basic idea is to have a dynamic "fp field" over the whole space, as units try to move around through it. Then they take suppression like fire (like being within 25m of an aim point is today) periodically while inside such a "fp field".

This is probably right - to do it right, you'd probably need to tune the shape of the fp field, and adjust its effects for the type(s) of cover as well as the firing unit. This is not trivial, of course, and I'm sure more complicated than I think - but it's not like you'd have to track each bullet individually or do something conceptually foreign to the game.

The thing I like about this suggestion is that it makes the game much more realistic without making it any more cumbersome to play. </font>

Then again, with stuff like EYSA coming out, one is easily distracted. ;) [/QB]
Michael,

What is EYSA? I even googled it to find out. Seems to be some kind of soccer team for kids? "Coming out" is idiomatic English for accepting and openly professing some kind of deeply personal preference no? I'm not getting it.

Cheerio

Dandelion

eric youngs squad assault from matrixgames, a cc type rts.

if i look at cm series as a board game in 3d on the screen, the dice roll abstractions are really quite well done. compared to what i've spent on other games, and what they do, i'm happy. dont know if i'd pay 80 usd for the next gen. but for 40 i'd buy it and try it.

Originally posted by junk2drive:

if i look at cm series as a board game in 3d on the screen, the dice roll abstractions are really quite well done. compared to what i've spent on other games, and what they do, i'm happy. dont know if i'd pay 80 usd for the next gen. but for 40 i'd buy it and try it.

Wow, and if your Alien Masters put in a chip that allows you to use English like someone who isn't lazy and half-educated, the sky's the limit, eh?

Originally posted by junk2drive:

Thanks for the input (Eric Young is often mentioned here, he probably has no idea how well known he is among BFC product consumers) and I quite agree on the preparedness to invest.

CM is still the best thing around, in fact the only thing around smile.gif I often see the word "competitors" on the forum, and the BFC use the same term. What competitor? Myself I have always been afraid some would actually appear, meaning some giant company will roll in, make a product that I will not find quite enough (think CC), but still attract a large segment of the CM audience, thus killing BFC and leaving us with no company attending to our youknowwhat retentative needs.

Cheerio

Dandelion

dandelion, ar needs, correct.

since eric young was involved with cc everyone addicted to cc hoped that gi combat would be "it". nope. then matrix and ey touted eysa. nope. blitzkreig, soldiers, nope.

there is a lot worse than cm out there.

i'm too old for rts, cm is just fine.

and i am lazy, have lived in a single wide, but never been abducted that i can recall, am american educated so i guess that is half, and hold a lighter than air with airborne heater, pilot certificate, so i guess the sky is the limit.