This is the Peng Challenge that never ends....It goes on and on my Friends....

'People say German is a harsh and unmusical language, and French is a beautiful language. German is the language of Goethe and Beethoven! Have you ever heard an angry Frenchman? It's like listening to a cat being flushed down a toilet!

Ah, yes, the heart rending, gut wrenching beauty of Beethoven's poems...

And an angry German sounds like a 10 foot bloodtick on cocaine. Especially that fellow with the silly little mustache. Watching his speeches is like watching a combat-drugged monkey threatening corporal punishment on his banana if it persists in not opening itself.

You'd really believe German was made for yelling. A yelling German is quite intimidating, I'll grant them that.

• Replies 299
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Originally posted by rleete:

Still aspiring, Seanachai? Try harder.

I think my only point of quibble with you is that I could never stand the tickling as you licked the soles of my feet.

Nice to see that you've grown out of it.

Did you at least use my name as your child's middle name? You should, given that the best efforts of your spermatozoa could never have overcome your wife's desire not to be impregnated by you, without my help.

I feel bad about it, but I foresee great things for your child. I'm a bit confused about that, actually. I mean, We Olde Ones are sitting around the fire, passing the bottle from hand to hand, and foreseeing the progress of your child...and we see only good things.

Bugger. Does your wife have any really, really close male friends with whom she spent a great deal of time before she announced her pregnancy?

Originally posted by Seanachai:

Did you at least use my name as your child's middle name? You should, given that the best efforts of your spermatozoa could never have overcome your wife's desire not to be impregnated by you, without my help.

Originally posted by Seanachai:

Does your wife have any really, really close male friends with whom she spent a great deal of time before she announced her pregnancy?

Sig material, both of those.

Is there any other kind?

Oh yes. There's also the suicidingly-sad-yet-enduring-their-bitter-life ones, like Goethe.

I mean, We Olde Ones are sitting around the fire, passing the bottle from hand to hand, and foreseeing the progress of your child...and we see only good things
That may have something to do with said bottle. Although I'm told delirium is quite frightening, most of the times but hey, if it's *that* bad, why are LSD hippies always smiling ?

Originally posted by Kobal2:

As Lambert Wilson puts it, cursing in French feels like wiping your arse with silk.

Whilst cursing in Russian is like slowly and repeatedly driving a potatoe harverster over your oponent and dusting them with salt in between trips.

Is there any other kind?

Oh yes. There's also the suicidingly-sad-yet-enduring-their-bitter-life ones, like Goethe.

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />I mean, We Olde Ones are sitting around the fire, passing the bottle from hand to hand, and foreseeing the progress of your child...and we see only good things

That may have something to do with said bottle. Although I'm told delirium is quite frightening, most of the times but hey, if it's *that* bad, why are LSD hippies always smiling ? </font>

Ah, yes, the heart rending, gut wrenching beauty of Beethoven's poems...

Don't be stupid. Music exists, and people create it. Everyone works inside the space within their own head. Do you seriously think anyone, if their head was filled with nothing more than trash, nothing more than ugliness, could have produced the works of Beethoven?

I think not.

I may make mock, I may belittle, but I am not such a fool as to think that beauty ever settles on one language, race, religion. or nation.

So much beauty. So little time to kick each and every one of you useless, sodding bastards in the arse.

Heh! Serves you right, you pillocks! There's no sodding way that 'beauty' is ever going to settle on any of you lot, Ladies of the 'Pool and cooks, excepted, of course.

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Whilst cursing in Russian is like slowly and repeatedly driving a potatoe harverster over your oponent and dusting them with salt in between trips.

I don't know. Sounds like sledgehammering gnats. Sounds fun. </font>

Guest PondScum

The mad gnome sent me a turn, so I thought I'd stop by the old insane asylum and see what else has changed in the last six months.

Oooooh, "Quick Reply" box. Perfect for drive-by muggings. Mildly disappointed that mon petite generale still remembers how to breath, though.

Also, who let the kobolds in? Worse than feckin' goblins.

Guest PondScum
Originally posted by Boo Radley, human punch bag:

If I've left anyone out, rest assured that it was on purpose. Or porpoise...

--------------------

Junior Justiciar Pro Tempore De Jure of the Peng Challenge Thread

Boo, my beamish boy! You have a promotion, I see. A battlefield promotion, I trust - "Pro Tempore De Jure" means "I bumped off Old Joe to get this job", right?

But enough of that. Do you hear them still, Boo? The crying of the lambs? Care to try for 0-and-5?

Originally posted by PondScum:

The mad gnome sent me a turn, so I thought I'd stop by the old insane asylum and see what else has changed in the last six months.

Oooooh, "Quick Reply" box. Perfect for drive-by muggings. Mildly disappointed that mon petite generale still remembers how to breath, though.

I remembrane this one.

Originally posted by PondScum:

Ah, Pondscum. Ready for a jolly singsong, eh? I've just the one...

I was painting a still life this morning

Of a throat lozenge sitting on a copy

Of Tropic of Cancer

The only thing weird about it

Is that a year ago,

I never thought I'd paint anything again

I decided I wasn't ever gonna paint again

It didn't bother me too much

Warhol's dead,

David Hockney's still alive

I don't need to paint

I painted over ten thousand paintings

Sad ones, funny ones, dark ones, and light ones

I've done haystacks

And rich old ladies by their pools

Wearing nothing but a scarf

I've painted everything there was to paint

Now it was time to sit back

Give interviews

Hang out at club med

Get on the internet

Take stock of what I've done

You know, the best friend I ever had was a dog

It sounds like a cliche unless it's happened to you

Some days that dog was the only reason I even got out of bed

That dog went everywhere with me

And then I heard the crack addicts

Were stealin' dogs and selling them for animal research

It sounded like an urban myth to me

Like the mouse in the Coke bottle

But I started leavin' her at home after that

You know, Paula was my wife for a while

She ran off to Paris with the great grandson of Van Gogh

A cartoonist who did fashion graphics for Le Monde

When Paula left she took my dog

I never saw her again

Except in the court during the custody battle

She won and got to keep the dog

And I didn't speak to anyone for months

You know sometimes it feels

Like there's so much that you need

Sometimes the world is upside down

Sometimes it feels

Like the only thing you need

Is holdin' someone's hand as you walk through town

I started hanging around with Dino

He used to run a poker game back east

Now he sells cappuccino to his old pals

Tommy Chicago and Jimmy the Wig and Ugly Rose

You know the best person I ever knew

Was a Mormon woman named Estelle

She still calls me drunk every few months

And asks me stuff I don't want to talk about

You can't talk to her very long unless you're drunk yourself

Then we go all night

She says, "Why baby, why baby, why baby, why

Have you turned your back on love?

You had so many chances

Why have you let 'em all go by?"

Well, one morning I was sitting in front of Dino's place

with Jake the Shears, a guy from Philly

Who gives free mohawks

There were a couple of young painters

I was hopin' to come by

So I could give 'em some advice

Yeah, I was sittin' there updating my list of enemies

When this girl walks in

And the universe kind of stops

Turned out she drank the same tea as me

It don't take more than that to start a conversation sometimes

She believed collage was the greatest of all the arts

And was busy pasting pictures of horses

Next to ads for laundry soap

Next to Mohammed Ali

She had a turquoise in her ear

And said Rachmaninoff was always in her head

Later that day I was trying to describe her to Jimmy the Wig

I couldn't find any words

And I realized I'd started to sketch her chin

Somehow it didn't look right

I scratched it out and tried it again

I filled an entire pad

I threw it away, I never even came close

For six days I sat at Dino's place

The rain wouldn't quit and no one came in

Finally on the seventh day it cleared

And in she walked

I asked her to sit with me

And ibought her a cup of tea

And I asked her to model for me sometime

That afternoon I was at a canvas

She was wearing a yellow dress

I swore if she let me, I'd get it right

I've painted over ten thousand paintings

Sad ones, funny ones, dark ones, and light ones

But sitting there, it was like I couldn't even

Write my own name

I apologized and said, "It's been a few months

If you have patience, I'll get the hang of it again"

In the next few weeks, I painted her hundreds of times

If I get the nose right, the chin's too long

If I get 'em both right, the face is too thin

But I keep after it and one day

I get it all right

I painted a still life this morning

Of a throat lozenge

sitting on a copy of Tropic of Cancer

The only weird thing about it

Is I never thought

I'd paint anything again

I think I might go visit Estelle

Those Utah mountains are good for the soul

I'll bring my brushes

And some Jack Daniels

And we can make up for lost time

She said, "Why baby, why baby, why baby why?

Have you turned your back on love

You had so many chances

Why do you let 'em all go by?

Why baby, why baby, why baby why?

Have you turned your back on love

You had so many chances

Why do you let 'em all go by?"

Sometimes it seems like there's so much that you need

Sometimes the world is upside down

Sometimes it seems like the only thing you need

Is holdin' someone's hand as you walk through town

"Estelle"

-Dan Bern

[ June 17, 2004, 04:26 AM: Message edited by: Seanachai ]

Don't be stupid. Music exists, and people create it. Everyone works inside the space within their own head. Do you seriously think anyone, if their head was filled with nothing more than trash, nothing more than ugliness, could have produced the works of Beethoven?

I think not.

You know, toomfooleries set aside, that could be a pretty good philosophical question : is the music you compose influenced by the language you think in ? Had that marvellous genius Beethoven been born Irish, would his music have been the same (I'm convinced this whole sentence is messed up, syntax wise.) ? I've always felt art was transcending borders myself, that beauty was somehow innate inside the artist's mind, but debating such notion would be a nice intellectual game.

Of course, once again, expressing matters of intellectual nature in the den of amadans that is the Peng is the sure sign of a misguided mind, you small scale whiskey jar.

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Don't be stupid. Music exists, and people create it. Everyone works inside the space within their own head. Do you seriously think anyone, if their head was filled with nothing more than trash, nothing more than ugliness, could have produced the works of Beethoven?

I think not.

You know, toomfooleries set aside, that could be a pretty good philosophical question : is the music you compose influenced by the language you think in ? Had that marvellous genius Beethoven been born Irish, would his music have been the same (I'm convinced this whole sentence is messed up, syntax wise.) ? I've always felt art was transcending borders myself, that beauty was somehow innate inside the artist's mind, but debating such notion would be a nice intellectual game.

Of course, once again, expressing matters of intellectual nature in the den of amadans that is the Peng is the sure sign of a misguided mind, you small scale whiskey jar. </font>

Last night, I had a flashback......been a long time, but now and then they hit me.

My wife and I were sitting on the backyard deck, enjoying a quiet moment as the sun was setting.

It started getting a little buggy, so my wife went inside to get the can of Cutter's insect repellent spray. (unbeknownst to me at the time).

She came back outside and started spraying her arms and legs with the vile stuff.....in an instant the smell of it brought me back to that place , only for a few seconds, but I WAS THERE AGAIN, for that instant in time.

For his wife's sake I hope he didn't whip out the machete. Although one could argue that decapitation is way better than a long life by Nidan1's side, obviously.

EDIT :

Take it to the GF, Frenchie, as I picture an intellectual discussion taking place in the Cesspool , an image of Seanachai taking a dump, while reading the "Humor in Uniform" section of the "Readers Digest" comes into view.
Can't. I'm busy being called a neo-nazi over there, and I'm not multi-task. Me ! Neo-nazi ! A guy who dodged a THREE DAYS military obligation !

And you expect me to take something intellectual *there* ? T'would be like losing virginity all over again : much expectations, gross desillusion.

[ June 17, 2004, 09:09 AM: Message edited by: Kobal2 ]

Originally posted by Leutnant Hortlund:

How do those flashbacks work Nidan?

Is it just a feeling of being there, or do you start like...listening for incoming rounds and stuff like that too?

Its always different...sometimes more or less intense, but always a feeling of being there.

Oh, and rune , my wife hates your scenarios too...she says they are too loud, "can't you play one that has less of those BOOMING noises..."

Originally posted by Nidan1:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Leutnant Hortlund:

How do those flashbacks work Nidan?

Is it just a feeling of being there, or do you start like...listening for incoming rounds and stuff like that too?

Its always different...sometimes more or less intense, but always a feeling of being there...

</font>