Battlefront is now Slitherine ×

Major cmx2 bone from another thread

I thought this deserved a new topic, especially the last bit about "slower, more deliberate, more tense battles."

the full topic is at:

http://www.battlefront.com/discuss/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=30;t=003682;p=3

Originally posted by Battlefront.com:

What we do think works is a combo of elements which, on their own, don't restrict things unrealistically. But when the various C&C elements start to pile up, significant restrictions on flexibility start to manifest themselves in indirect ways. For example, if an HQ is much harder to get moving AND units out of C&C are at greater risk AND are not able to call in for support AND other units can't automatically come to their aid, etc. well... then the player is going to pace his units more realistically because losing C&C now likely outweighs any sort of Rambo style moves.

CMx1 has some of these elements that cause some degree of caution by the player, but not enough. Relative Spotting will help out a heck of a lot, so too will the new C&C system. But there is more than that. We fully expect that CMx2 games will be SLOWER and more DELIBERATE, but also much more TENSE and therefore EXCITING. Slower doesn't inherently mean less exciting, since it comes down to execution. It's kinda like the difference between a fast paced action film and a well executed slow building horror movie.

Steve

There are supporting bits to this bone in some other threads, especially the Relative Spotting ones. The basic concept I spoke about there is "uncertainty". The less information the player has, the less certain he will be about what to do. The less certain, the less sure the moves. The less sure the moves, the slower the overall pace will be. In theory this could make a game as exciting as watching paint dry, or it could make the game a tense nail biting experience that you're willing to accept the consequences of ignoring your wife/girfriend's 10th yelll to "get off that damned computer and [fill in blank, such as take out garbage, come down for dinner, etc.] before I really get mad!" :D We of course think CMx2 will err on the side of divorce and many cold nights on the couch tongue.gif

Steve

Originally posted by Battlefront.com:

There are supporting bits to this bone in some other threads, especially the Relative Spotting ones. The basic concept I spoke about there is "uncertainty". The less information the player has, the less certain he will be about what to do. The less certain, the less sure the moves. The less sure the moves, the slower the overall pace will be. In theory this could make a game as exciting as watching paint dry, or it could make the game a tense nail biting experience that you're willing to accept the consequences of ignoring your wife/girfriend's 10th yelll to "get off that damned computer and [fill in blank, such as take out garbage, come down for dinner, etc.] before I really get mad!" :D We of course think CMx2 will err on the side of divorce and many cold nights on the couch tongue.gif

Steve

You mean it will be more absorbing than it is now? I'm in big, big trouble.

We'll have to start a support group for the widows of CMx2.

Anyway, the trick I've learned over the years is you just have to play at night when everyone else is asleep. You'll be tired but what the heck.

[ March 04, 2005, 03:19 PM: Message edited by: DrD ]

• 2 weeks later...

I should add that I'm not 100% sure how relative spotting is going to work but the simplest and best system imo would be to let you only see with the unit you have selected AND for people to use turn limits. Allowing an infinite amount of time per turn is going to make any system less realistic.