What do R.P.Hunnicutt and Mark Twayne have in common?

MikeyD

They both had occassion to complain "The reports of my dead have been greatly exaggerated"!

A buddy of mine got a friendly phonecall from the author R.P. Hunnicutt the other day. They were discussing his newly rereleased SHERMAN book. Hunnicutt complained that the Library of Congress info section had accidentally listed him as "R.P. Hunnicutt, 1026-2006" ! If I may continue mixing my literary metaphors, to quote Monty Python "I'm not dead yet!" :D

I've just gone online and the first email I recieved was from RZM books about this Author;

PERSHING

A History of the Medium Tank T20 Series

For sample pages and to order

Click the cover!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

It became apparent early in the war that the American Sherman medium tank, a product of prewar engineering, was no match for the best of the German tanks. Almost three years of intensive development resulted in the introduction of a new American tank, the T26E3 General Pershing, into battle in the closing months of the war in Europe. More than a match for the panzers it faced, the Pershing proved itself in combat. The Pershing served as the Army's first-line tank during the immediate postwar period. During the first year of the Korean War it played a major role in blunting the threat of Russian-built T34 tanks, which proved to be no match for the Pershing's 90mm main gun.

Hard cover, large format: 8 1/2" x 11", 240 pages, over 500 photos, color art and scale drawings.

RZM Price: $80.00

Visit our Main page

SHERMAN

A History of the American Medium Tank

For sample pages and to order

Click the cover!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Finally back in print, R.P. Hunnicutt's "bible" on the M4 Sherman Tank begins with the pre-war evolution of the U.S. medium tank resulting in the introduction of the M3 and its Canadian counterpart the "RAM." The confusion after Pearl Harbor and the pressure for ever increasing production provide the background for the appearance of the Sherman in Part II. The war situation in early 1942 required large numbers of tanks to equip both the U.S. armored units in training and the Allied Armies already fighting around the world. This resulted in the major models of the Sherman with designations ranging from M4 to M4A6.

Part II ends with the Sherman committed to action first at El Alamein and then in theaters of operation around the world. Battle experience soon indicated the need for further improvements. Part III details the development projects necessary to effect these changes and their incorporation into the production program. The important British modifications including the installation of the 17 pounder high velocity gun are also included. The ready availability of the Sherman chassis made it the ideal candidate to carry various self-propelled artillery weapons and antitank guns. These vehicles as well as other specialized armor are discussed in part IV.

After WWII, the Sherman continued to serve not only the U.S. Army, but was used to rearm many friendly nations whose armed forces were destroyed during the war. With the outbreak of fighting in Korea, the Sherman again went into action as is covered in Part V. Part VI is composed of reference material presented in data sheets covering the major production models of the M3 and M4 series.

Hard cover, Collector's Slipcase, large format: 8 1/2" x 11", 576 pages, 1,368 b/w photos, 12 color plates.

RZM Price: $130.00

www.rzm.com

First site I came to visit was this one as I like to check for new mods and the first post I read is about this Author !

Anyway I've not read either book so if you have can you give your views on them.

Thanks in advance.

Originally posted by DonsBoy88:

[snips]

Anyway I've not read either book so if you have can you give your views on them.

I've not read "Pershing", but "Sherman" is superb, and his "Half-track" very good indeed. The reason this author's books don't come cheap is that they are worth the money, and people who have copies are hanging on to them.

There is probably always more to say about so prolific a tank as the Sherman, so I would recommend Mark Hayward's "Sherman Firefly" as a very useful supplement on 17-pounder Shermans.

All the best,

John.

Not to brag -

Awh, who am i kidding- If i may be allowed to brag!:

I was given a copy of Hunnicutt's 'Pershing' by the author himself - autographed! To me that's equivalent to a Baptist finding his mailbox stuffed with autographed stone tablets fex-ex'd to him by the 'author'.

• 4 months later...