how do mortars pick their leader???

Hi there !

I get frustrated with mortars sometimes when i have moved their leader to a position with good los to the intended target area, i find that moving him has brought him to far from the mortars and they has chosen another leader with no los to target.

how do you handle this??

dr dill

Support units like this will shift their command lines to another leader unit(if within command radius, which depends on HQ experience and command bonuses) if their attached leader is too far away.

What's the experience level of HQ unit? Does it have any command bonuses?

Hi !

Honestly cant tell since it was a while ago i played,but i admit that i didnt know that hq rank

and experience mattered.

losing the original leader is mostly happening to me in city scenarios when units are more tightly massed

otherwise the support/mortar can stay well behind with their leader.

dr dill

i didnt know that hq rank and experience mattered.
I don't believe they matter. Unlike infantry squads support teams such as mortars and MGs don't have an organic commander. Mortars, like all team units, will latch on to the HQ unit that is closest to them.

Now having said this, don't trust what I just wrote. Do some testing to find out for yourself how things really work.

Closest HQ, end of story. If I want to move an HQ to a new spotting location, I check LOS distance from the mortar to the intended destination for the HQ, and then check to see if any other HQ's will be closer. If they are, I move those HQs as well so as not to interfere. Nothing more annoying than having the mortars default to another leader, as you have found.

I'm pretty sure that's NOT right.

IME an HQ unit with e.g. a 2 star command rating can 'pinch' command of e.g. a mortar unit from a lesser rated HQ unit even when further away. It's happened to me in two of my recent PBEM games.

To test this if you want (I've seen it 'for real' so I don't need to) I suggest using a 2* and 0* HQ unit and one mortar on flat terrain. Place the 0* HQ unit at the maximum distance from the mortar while still retaining C&C. Place the 2* unit out of C&C range, then move the 2* unit towards the mortar until you see it 'pinch' C&C. I think you'll find that distance is greater than the 0* unit's distance.