Has anyone found my disappearing minefield?

Gents,

I just played an operation, 21st Army Counterattacks (by Andreas Biermann - nice). In it, I discovered an enemy anti-personnel minefield by my usual method. Sorry men.

Okay, the game puts a big "Achtung Minen" sign there. No one moves into that area - again. See, their welfare is my highest priority. After a few turns the mine sign goes away. Poof.

End of game: There is no minefield there!!

I played vs. the AI with Extreme FOW. I see two possibilities: due to EFOW, there never was a minefield present; or somehow the minefield got "used up" in an attack.

I've never seen a minefield, once ID'd, be revealed as a mistaken ID. I've also never seen a minefield get depleted to the point of disappearing. (If it can be used up, time to use the "Human Wave" a bit more!!)

Anyone have any ideas as to what could have happened?

Thanks,

Ken

(P.S., saved game files available showing minefield and its absence.)

Gents,

I just played an operation, 21st Army Counterattacks (by Andreas Biermann - nice). In it, I discovered an enemy anti-personnel minefield by my usual method. Sorry men.

Okay, the game puts a big "Achtung Minen" sign there. No one moves into that area - again. See, their welfare is my highest priority. After a few turns the mine sign goes away. Poof.

End of game: There is no minefield there!!

I played vs. the AI with Extreme FOW. I see two possibilities: due to EFOW, there never was a minefield present; or somehow the minefield got "used up" in an attack.

I've never seen a minefield, once ID'd, be revealed as a mistaken ID. I've also never seen a minefield get depleted to the point of disappearing. (If it can be used up, time to use the "Human Wave" a bit more!!)

Anyone have any ideas as to what could have happened?

Thanks,

Ken

(P.S., saved game files available showing minefield and its absence.)

Minefields are cleared by nearby enginners with satchel charges. As they just throw these explosives at the minefield, probably any inf unit with explosives can do that. Maybe that's how the disappearing minefield was cleared.

Check the explosives available for your units in both files. Maybe you can get a hint that way.

Gruß

Jaochim

Minefields are cleared by nearby enginners with satchel charges. As they just throw these explosives at the minefield, probably any inf unit with explosives can do that. Maybe that's how the disappearing minefield was cleared.

Check the explosives available for your units in both files. Maybe you can get a hint that way.

Gruß

Jaochim

Jaochim,

Thanks. Yes, I'm aware of the ability to clear minefields with explosives. That was not the case in this instance. A crew staggered into the minefield, took a casualty, stayed there and the minefield disappeared a few turns later. The crew stayed there through the rest of the game. Viewing the map at the end of the game showed that there was no minefield there.

Regards,

Ken

Jaochim,

Thanks. Yes, I'm aware of the ability to clear minefields with explosives. That was not the case in this instance. A crew staggered into the minefield, took a casualty, stayed there and the minefield disappeared a few turns later. The crew stayed there through the rest of the game. Viewing the map at the end of the game showed that there was no minefield there.

Regards,

Ken

It would be the first I heard of any ability of non-engineers to clear a field. But at least in CMBO, I did see fields that appeared to be cleared by repeated attacks. But a lot of them, not just one. Only noticed it in AI games, because only the AI sent men forward repeatedly into known minefields. I suspect the game checks for field "depletion" after every attack, and you just hit a low outlier of "1".

It would be the first I heard of any ability of non-engineers to clear a field. But at least in CMBO, I did see fields that appeared to be cleared by repeated attacks. But a lot of them, not just one. Only noticed it in AI games, because only the AI sent men forward repeatedly into known minefields. I suspect the game checks for field "depletion" after every attack, and you just hit a low outlier of "1".

Gents,

Thank you for your thoughts. I feel the need for a test coming over me. Something involving, oh, a regiment of elite Soviet infantry, some minefields, and a commander with who is stubborn, pig-headed, determined, and, of course, ruthless (and curious!).

smile.gifsmile.gif

I'll post results in a few days. If the minefield depletes, that'll be a new piece of info.

(BTW, the crew involved in my question was 2 men strong, stumbled into the minefield, had 1 man left. No one else ever touched the minefield.)

Ken

Gents,

Thank you for your thoughts. I feel the need for a test coming over me. Something involving, oh, a regiment of elite Soviet infantry, some minefields, and a commander with who is stubborn, pig-headed, determined, and, of course, ruthless (and curious!).

smile.gifsmile.gif

I'll post results in a few days. If the minefield depletes, that'll be a new piece of info.

(BTW, the crew involved in my question was 2 men strong, stumbled into the minefield, had 1 man left. No one else ever touched the minefield.)

Ken