Good WWII Museums in Western Europe, any ideas?

My wife and I are taking the once in a couple of years vacation in December and are looking to go to Europe. I would like to visit a good WWII museum while there (even got the wife to ok as long as I do the shopping thing) but wanted to check in with this group first before I checked out other sources. Any ideas? We are looking at initially staying in Vienna and then taking the train to either Germany and France.

Thanks in advance!

von Nev

Hi,

Yup, I second Bovington in Dorset; it will blow your socks off. Think of a type of WWII tank, and they have an example.

I would recommend The Imperial War Museum site at Duxford, north of London, rather then the site in central London. More to see at Duxford. It is an old WWII airfield converted to a museum, but also lots of ground warfare stuff.

All the best,

Kip.

Oorlogs Museum in Overloon, the Netherlands!

It's near the border of Germany.

They have a variety of tanks (KV-1 in good condition!), warplanes and a lot of other WWII stuf such as bunkers, guns, cars, uniforms, propaganda etc... The ssite of this museum was a battlefield in WWII, the liberation of the Netherlands.

Their website : http://www.oorlogsmuseum.nl

(but they don't show a lot of pictures on it)

If you come I can show you around smile.gif

The Battle of Overloon

26 September to 16 October 1944

For more than four years, the village of Overloon escaped the consequences of the Second World War. The inhabitants had of course seen German soldiers in their streets, but there had been no acts of war at all.

However, on 26 September 1944, the frontline reached this village in the swampy Peel. The narrow strip of land between Eindhoven and Arnhem that had been liberated during Operation Market Garden was being extended slowly but surely. The Germans had entrenched themselves in order to halt the allies. The adversaries bombarded each other's position for the first four days.

On 30 September, the allies launched their attack with the help of the 7th American Tank Squadron that had been specially drafted in for the purpose. This was the start of one of the fiercest battles that took place in Western Europe. The American Sherman Tanks tried to breach the German defences but time and again, they were prevented by German mines, field artillery and Panther and Tiger tanks. On 8 October, the exhausted Americans retreated from the battlefield to be relieved by the 11th British Tank Division and the 3rd British Infantry Division under the command of Major General J.C. Whistler.

icon_bbs.gif Eichenbaum

[ July 14, 2003, 11:24 AM: Message edited by: eichenbaum ]