Those nutty tankers - strange AI behavior

Ok, I have just noticed this for the first time with a non-fast order. Stug ordered to hunt. Got to last waypoint and proceeded to begin a slow turn to the right. when turn ended he had turned through about 135 degrees. :mad: I think I still have the file if anyone wants it.

{I'm so proud of my little thread. Only a little while ago it was just a 0 reply baby now it is over 20. Soon it will be off to college and not phoning home. :D }

[ January 13, 2003, 03:30 AM: Message edited by: Sgtgoody ]

Originally posted by Joques:

AH! I just had this happen to me. A Stug, orders were fast move ahead followed by a 90 degree turn right. It turned the 90 degrees, and then 90 degrees more! Very unnerving, esp. since there is a Russian heavy lurking just beyond LOS, and my Stug just turned its flank towards it!

In fact, I'll send the relevant PBEM files to Battlefront. Which mailadress should I use?

So, the conclusion is - "Don't make 90 degree turns driving tanks full speed" what is "nutty" about it? It is an object of mass about 25000kg moving with speed 35km/h. Driver can lose controle in this situation and make tank spinning. This fellow Newton probably predicted something like it in his obscure book: "Principia : Vol. 1 The Motion of Bodies".

For me it sounds like realistic behavior.

best

Straif

Straif,

As I have mentioned, when taking a turn, the tanks slow down to well below their maximum speed they do when going in a straight line so to say they are doing a 35km/h 90deg turn is an exaggeration and the apparently larger turn radius penalty imposed in CMBB seems too extreme, resulting in this "nutty" behaviour.

Have a look at the way in which CMBO tanks take a similar turn in CMBO in the GIF I posted. I will do one better. Download and open the actual saved game test files (no passwords, press OK):

CMBB turn test

CMBO turn test

Load the Look at them and then, based on the original movemnet orders that have been assigned to the tanks, tell me which ones execute the orders in a manner you would expect/want them to.

Have a close look at the way the CMBO tanks take the turn and then tell me if it looks like they are breaking any of Newtons laws or if it makes you think "Oh that's totally so unacceptable BTS! It would be more realistic (or "I would prefer") for the tanks to behave like they do in CMBB".

It is obvious something has changed between CMBO and CMBB regarding how tank movement orders are calculated based on waypoints given (for FAST speeds at least). Why and for what gain I have no clue. I am waiting on BTS to shed some light on this. What appeared to be OK in CMBO has been changed for some reason. I can't see what has been gained out of this change from something that didn't seem broke in the first place. :(

Originally posted by Sgtgoody:

{I'm so proud of my little thread. Only a little while ago it was just a 0 reply baby now it is over 20. Soon it will be off to college and not phoning home. :D }

LOL! :D

Lt Bull

I sure hope someone from BFC soon sees this thread, this really should be fixed in the next patch.

Sure, it CAN be worked around (longer "end line", more movement points (= longer delays)), but it's just so plain obvious (to me at least, until someone gives a plausible reason for the tank to behave this way) that someone is wrong here.

Wow! I just had it happen to me in a PBEM game.

I had three T-34/85's move at fast and then go into hunt to attack a Hetzer. Two of the three performed the hunt. The third one, rather than hunt, rotated until broadside to the Hetzer. I ended up with 2:1 odds instead of 3:1. I lost one of the two. So I now have 1:1 and I suspect, a regular against a vet. Not good.