Matilda II (desert/caunter camouflage) mod preview

Fionn,

The "Caunter" style of camouflage used on British tanks in North Africa was based on naval camouflage practice first adopted in World War I. It was designed to disguise the outline of the tank (to confuse enemy gunners) rather than to make the tank blend into its background, obviously smile.gif . The original designs were worked out mathematically (which I had to adapt to the constraints of the CMBB 3-D models).

Gordon

I think I'm waiting for a turn, btw. smile.gif

Thanks Gordon,

But one question, how do you start a vehicle from "scratch", I realize that you can get the original color and such down to where it doesn't show as much, but how do you get it to a clean base to mod from?? There have been a few vehicles I would like to mod with a totally differnt camo scheme but can't due to the camo that is already in place.

Originally posted by tracer:

Thanks Gordon,

But one question, how do you start a vehicle from "scratch", I realize that you can get the original color and such down to where it doesn't show as much, but how do you get it to a clean base to mod from?? There have been a few vehicles I would like to mod with a totally differnt camo scheme but can't due to the camo that is already in place.

Tracer,

Definitions of what "from scratch" mean varies from person to person, but the meaning that I attach to it is to start with blank BMPs and draw all the features and details. There's no "erasing" of existing camo as you are starting with "bare metal" so to speak. This is how Kwazy Dog and the other artists who worked on CMBB textures did 90% of the default BMPs shipped with the game. You end up drawing lot's of highlights and shadows to create the appearance of 3-D where there isn't any and adjusting the brightness and darkness of the various BMPs to accent the 3-D model. It's an extremely tedious and slow process, but when done right can often be more realistic looking (IMO) than photos because all the shadows, hightlights, etc. can be made more consistent.

Another way of doing a "from scratch" mod, which is how I did my CMBO King Tiger, is to work from digital photos or scanned images and splice them all together on the BMPs and make them blend well across all the BMPs so that it looks consistent.

Gordon

Thanks for the info, so if I understand this right, you start with a basic outline of the vehicle and fillin the details like hatches,tracks, tools,and the like. That does sound tedious, but it does sound challenging, and the work I have seen done from "scratch" mods would make it worth it to try, thanks again for the info Gordon.

Tracer,

Yes, the very first step (at least for me), is to find the exact onlines of the various polygons on each and every BMP. I do this by substituting a grid image on the BMP and then using that to trace the outline of the various parts of the BMP that are mapped onto the 3-D model. I'm not sure that all modders do this, but I know it helps me a lot as I'm trying to lay out the graphics.

Gordon

That's what I do, tho' I usually do colored lines at likely places & angles, then 'bracket' from there, as it where. The Grid thing is a good idea. Make it & copy it from file to file. It would also give you a good reference for how much a .BMP might be stretched or compressed, I would guess.

One reason the edges are important is because getting them to 'blend' is part of what makes the illusion work. You'll see a lot of highlighting/shading going on here in peoples' Work, if you start looking for it.

Here are a couple of other things I've learned the Hard Way. Be disciplined about putting things on seperate Layers, & just as disciplined about merging them or throwing them out when you can.

Also, don't use too dark shadows or too bright highlighting. A little goes a long way In Game. I usually make a Scenario with what I'm working on & at least one other unit I like the look of for a reference.

Looking good Gordon. Not that that's surprising.

strt

Originally posted by Gordon:

Fionn,

The "Caunter" style of camouflage used on British tanks in North Africa was based on naval camouflage practice first adopted in World War ........Snip..................Gordon

Now call me suspicious if you must .... but am I the only one to pick up on the fact that Gordon starts work on a North Africa desert camouflage mod and a week later CM:AK gets announced smile.gif

Coincidence ....... I dont think so :D Somebody knows more than he's saying !

BTW .... Matilda in Caunter cammo I'm sure Gordon must have seen this one!

Gordon ..... Well talk about a coincidence ... err you fancy doing a 'Far East' mod and see what pops up in another week :D

As for the Caunter cammo .... DONT ditch them !! I'm sure they'll find a new home in CM:AK

Hell I'd use them as they are ... great work as usual :cool:

Lou