The point of an "assualt"?

From what I can tell, the only difference in an assualt is that the attacker gets a serious increase in spending power, and the defender gets fallback foxholes. This doesn't seem balanced. You can create fallback foxholes by splitting your squads at the beginning anyway. I'm assuming that I'm missing something here. What else is changed?

[ January 12, 2003, 08:04 PM: Message edited by: Walpurgis Night ]

Bear in mind that choosing different battle types can also be used to handicap, to compensate for

(a) differing skill between players (e.g. forcing the more experienced player to defend against an assault),

or

(B) very bad conditions. Asking an attacker to do, say, an nighttime attack in deep snow and maximum cold on a large map with only physically unfit infantry might be pretty darn unfair at the usual attack odds. (It might be pretty darn unfair even at assault odds...).

A recap on what Assault means, compared to the other options:

- Greater point difference (in QBs).

- Defender gets fallback foxholes (in QBs).

- Defender is well fortified (in QBs).

- Attacker needs to penetrate deep into the defense (in QBs).

- Both attacker and defender is willing to spend more ammo and take more casualties before surrendering.

Cheers

Olle