Nitpicking (with an apology!)

I have been a long-time lurker on this forum, and this is my second post. But before I start with nitpicking ("And when I pick a nit, the nit verily knows it has been picked!"), I feel I have to apologize.

CMBB is a great game, there's no doubt of it. I just love kicking the fascist butt with a KV-2. (Once in a while I also kick some boshevik butt with certain great felines.) That's why I feel more than a little embarassed to post only in order to complain of certain bugs and issues. I should be praising this game, but here I am, nitpicking! But then, there's not much point posting just to say how great this game is, is there? (Look what happened to MasterGoodale.)

My other defence is that I have alienated considerable portion of my friends and acquintances by telling them how great game this is, and how great it is to kick the fascist butt with a KV-2. I've made a small number of converts, too. In fact, just last new year a friend of mine wished me happy new year by yelling from the other side of a rather crowded pub "Kick the fascist butt with a KV-2!"

Ok, now I feel I've apologized enough to commence with the nitpicking. I've searced the forum to see if these have been covered in past, and have found no matches. But in case I'm just beating a dead horse, my apologies. My game is the CDV-version 1.01, with a number of 'anti-cencorship' -mods added. I have screen-shots for all these cases if needed.

First, the Soviet 37 mm at-gun shares the same bmp as the German 75 mm at-gun. The small picture in the lower part of the screen shows the correct gun.

Second, the Finnish BT-42 has the same bmp as the BT-5. This time the small picture in the lower part of the screen is wrong, too.

Third, in the game a Finnish armoured platoon leader's rank is given as vänrikki (VÄN; 2nd Lieutenant), but the rank insignia shown in the lower left is luutnantti's (Lieutenant) two golden rosettes (whereas vänrikki has only one).

Also, in an earlier thread I read that the Finnish StuG IIIg is available from June 1944 because that was when it was first used in action. Is that the general rule in deciding the dates of availability? I ask because I feel that a more sensible approach would be to have the equipment available from the date they historically were ready for battle. This is not that much an issue for the Soviets and Germans, who saw action for all the time from June 1941 to May 1945, but for the Finns it's a different matter. It's true the Finnish StuGs didn't see action before June 1944. But the Rynnäkkötykkipataljoona (Assault Gun Battalion) was re-equipped with StuGs and ready for battle by the end of 1943, IIRC (I can check the exact dates at home). Thus, if the Soviet offensive had started in, say, April 1944, the Finnish StuGs would have seen action then. As the availability stands now, what-if battles are impossible.

Ok, now I have this load off my chest. I'll go and kick some fascist butt.

[ January 10, 2003, 09:49 AM: Message edited by: Mikko H. ]

1) 'anti-cencorship' -mods - this has been greatly debated in the past. The bottom line is that for some European countries, it is against the law to show or depict certain things.- for instance swastikas. As CDV is the European distributor and there are only 2 versions of CMBB, BFC has no choice but to obey the law, hence the European version. If you do a search, you will find the reasoning behind this. Additionally, you should find some mods that can change some of this.

2) Re: duplicate bmp's. CMBB contains an amazing variety and number of weapons covering the Eastern Front. However, not all were modeled even though the weapon in question is included in the game. This was a business decision done in order to release CMBB in a timely manner. As this is purely visual, it does not effect gameplay. More will be added in future.

3) If you have documented evidence of weapons or vehicles being used or being ready to use, I suggest that you contact BFC and present it to them. History shows that they are more than willing to correct any proven oversights.

Originally posted by Soddball:

Ye gods, another Finn grog. Is there nothing to do in Finland but read books about WW2?

With the weather we've been having lately what else CAN we do ? smile.gif

I think it's actually Tero using 400 different log id's :D

Nah. smile.gif

On the subject of wrong BMP's he missed one: the Finnish 20mm AA gun has the 37mm AT gun small picture in the tool bar.

Thanks for your responses, people!

As for the duplicate BMP's, I guess I calmly sit down to wait for the future patches.

Zulu, I have no problem with the 'cencorship' thing. I understand why things are as they are in the European version, I only mentioned the mods in case they influenced the BMP's in the cases I mentioned.

The first batch of 30 StuG IIIg's arrived Finland between July and September 1943. They reached the Assault Gun Battalion in September 1943, which commenced the training immediately. Depending on when one would exactly call a unit combat ready, the StuG-battalion would have been ready for action in November or December 1943.

Jeez, I would hate to think what a Heavy Tank Destroyer Battalion is called!

Now, that would be Raskas Panssarintuhoojapataljoona, of course! ;)

Originally posted by Kanonier Reichmann:

Mikko H. wrote

Rynnäkkötykkipataljoona (Assault Gun Battalion)

One word for Assault Gun Battalion?

Just like the Swedish language where we put words together to make new ones. Using the words separated can make quite a change in meaning.

Assault gun = Stormartillerikanonvagn (in direct translation assault artillery cannon vehicle)

Assault gun battalion will thus be stormartillerikanonvagnsbataljon.

Heavy tank destroyer (= heavy SP ATG) = Tung pansarvärnskanonvagn (heavy antitank cannon vehicle).

I'm not sure there's ever been any heavy tank destroyer battalions mentioned in Swedish, but my best guesstimate for a correct military translation would be "pansarvärnsbataljon, tung, bepansrad".

Cheers

Olle