Your worst mistake in CMBB

Oh...that's good. ho ho ho hehehehe ROTFLMFAO...*wipe eyes* *sob with uncontrollable giggling*... ah...I've seen similar vehicular slapstick in soooooo many of my CM games, but that one is REALLY good.

For my part, after 3 weeks in CMBB-land:

1. Trying the "aren't CMBB infantry just like CMBO supermen?....oh...ooops"

2. Discovering that my cleverly designed June 1941 ambush of massed T26S's is in fact a cleverly designed shooting gallery for the German armor that rolls around a corner 350m away and which, I discover, I can't even penetrate.

3. Prebombardment hell.

4. Becoming so freaked out that I spray and bombard every inch of ground in front of my advancing troops. Losing control of the process, I bombard my own leading elements AND run out of support ammo before meeting the Ivans!

Not a big list, but gee, my first round of PBEMs are just warming up.

*checks mails*

**Possible Spoiler**

Oh hey, I just got a KV2 into a situation in Tiger!Tiger! where it had a 1% chance to hit two Tigers at about 850m. Alas, if they'd only had the same chance too..... *sob*

God! I can't wait to see what the other mails have in stall for me. *grin*

**Likely to be continued...**

Good to see I’m not alone in making stupid mistakes after playing CM for more than 3 years.

Happened in CMBO: Planned to attack with 2 companies (60% of me troop strength) over a bridge and shallow fjord after softening up the advance area/opposite bank with 120mm mortar for several turns. Several Shermans backing up in overwatch position. Even executed a perfect diversion attack prior at another river crossing which was having - unexpectedly - some success. Even spotted my opponent diverting reserve troops to counter the diversion atttack. Cancelled the mortar fire, ordered a smokescreen. Or so I thought. Infantry came rushing out of the woods: no smoke over the water, only fire in the sky. [“Deep Purple” or somefink]

To add to the carnage, a lone IG (and it WAS the only unit stationed at this far-off crossing) massacred a total of 137 veteran/crack troops while pinned in the middle of the river crossing by my own artillery. Not a single Sherman had LOS to the IG, sods law.

All happened in 60 seconds flat.

Charl Theron

logo.gif

-----------------------------------------------------

</font>

• Sponsor of the (now infamous) Invitational (Ari Maenpaa)</font>
  • Sponsor of the 2 WineCape Tourneys (Fangorn’s Brazilian customs drank the wine prize up! + KiwiJoe)</font>
  • Sponsor of the Nordic Championships in honor of Nabla (His scoring system revolutionized CM tourney play)</font>
  • Rumblings of War, aka RoW I/II/III and beyond tourney sponsor (Wreck/Ali+Kanonier+Jon_L/~)</font>
  • Grateful donateur to the drinking habits of Battlefront.com (Baldy received the Fat Bastard Chardonnay)</font>
  • Thank You donation send to Manx (He used to run the “sexiest CMBO modsite on the net”)</font>
  • Wine donation send to Team Boots & Tracks for their scenarios created specifically for RoW tournaments</font>
  • Wine donation send to Gordon Molek for his CMMOS utility (Thereby making the installing of CM mods a breeze)</font>
  • Wine donation send to Andrew Fox for his CM modding work</font>
  • Wine donation send to Keith Miller @ Scenario Depot for his dedication in hosting CM scenarios</font>
  • Sponsor-to-be of Pengville’s “Gamey Bastard” tourney (In honor of Seanachai + Lars for showing an act of kindness to an outerboarder - Well, bribery does pay.)</font>

[ August 15, 2003, 10:25 AM: Message edited by: WineCape ]

Originally posted by REVS:

Just made my worst mistake in CMBB. My Green T34-85 has spotted a hull down STGIII and they start firing at each other. First two shots from both combatants miss. Game turn ends.

He's hull down, I'm not. Don't fancy my chances of hitting him first with a 34% hit chance. I'm a bit too much on top of a rise, so not being all that familiar with 'seek hull down' I order the T34 to 'seek hull down' about 5-10 metres further back, expecting him to reverse back slightly.

But no, being a good computer-brained tank driver, he says "OK, I'll just spin on my axis, expose my butt to that STGIII that's 536 metres away and firing constantly. Then I'll drive down the five metres you requested, spin again, and then I'll start firing again. I'm sure he won't hit me in the meantime."

This is easily, by a very long distance, the dumbest thing I've done so far in CMBB.

Anyone care to share an even dumber piece of gaming, or am I the current record-holder?

If this is your WORST mistake in CMBB you must have been born with a copy of an army tactical instruction manual! WTG smile.gif

Forgetting that the scenario is a meeting engagement, not an attack. I hustled a company of infantry up to a group of buildings from which I planned to start probing for the start of the enemy defenses. It turned out that the buildings were occupied and my running troops were massacred. I went home after that.

My armor advanced so rapidly in during an attack that I had forgotten that I had air support which proceeded to show up and pound my men and material to bits right before the enemy.

I guess the moral of the story is: If you know air support is going to show up, let it, and then do your thing.

There were no smart/laser guided bombs in this war.