I hope it's all right to post about a non-game topic. I'm looking to buy a movie about the eastern front and am torn between THE WINTER WAR (about the Finns) and CROSS OF IRON. For some reason, I just bet people here have opinions on which I should get. ;)

I have both movies, but "Winter War" is really a poor quality flick. "Winter War" has some cool battle scenes with T26 and Russian human wave attacks against Finnish trenches, but the story and dialog blows as well as the cinematography. "Cross Of Iron" is a superior flick in comparison with equally cool battle scenes and a better story and dialog (although Stiener's halucinations in the hospital were very queer and way too long).

Well if you don't mind Germans that speak English (complete mood killer in my book) and a story that generally comes through as fiction, say stereotype characters, I'd say that Cross of Iron is a nice enough movie. Good even, but not in comparison with the Winter War (Talvisota) when it comes to the east front experience.

I'd place the Finnish movie well ahead of "Stalingrad" too, as I find it refreshingly no nonsense and head on gritty when compared to the others.

Perhaps the subject of Stalingrad is so charged and the story so well known (if your interested in the subject) that it tends to get a little, well, dull, when you just have to be exposed to every stereotype situation associated with that battle, one after the other.

Nah, to see something you have not seen before and that gets you down and dirty with war go for the Winter war. As for it being a "poor quality flick"... The thought never crossed my mind in the three times I have seen it, quite the contrary really, I guess I was too gripped by it to notice...

In the end you'll watch them all no doubt ;)

M.

Thanks for everybody's thoughts on the matter (and I do have STALINGRAD already). In a strange twist, battle scenes are now a little less important to me than they were in the past because CMBB already delivers them. Now I'm trying to flesh out the warriors a bit.

Also kind of interesting are The Cranes Are Flying and Ballad of a Soldier. Soviet films made in the 50's as I recall. Not technically accurate but a possible insight into the Soviet experience. I highly recommend Come And See, about partisans in Byelorussia. Definitely NOT for the faint of heart. The DVD includes a short propaganda film on partisans.