Mapping Mission status update, 7 March

I am working on version 1.05. This version has a few minor bug fixes in it, mostly related to map export to CM. I am still chasing a few elusive export problems experienced by some non-US users; hopefully that will be resolved soon (transatlantic debugging is a slow process). Once that's done I hope to be able to devote more time to the Mac port.

Also, I had a neat idea this morning about a way to import CMBB maps into Mapping Mission. The gist of the idea is to take a screenshot of the map in the CMBB editor, and then have MM import the screenshot and pattern-match the tiles to figure out what tile goes where. Elevations might be a bit trickier, but then again they might be very doable. Need to think on this some more. This isn't something to expect soon, but I'm going to put it on the back burner and see if I can do it without much effort. If any other aspiring programmer wants to take a crack at this in the meantime, however, the MM file format is published in the documentation, so feel free!

Hi Leland,

I just threw an e-mail to your direction, but to tell the good news again, now it works! Yahoo! Just got to refine the delay.

I'm very excited about this program, it will offer so many possibilities... good work. I am pleased to present you with this medal for distinguished service.

mm24_000_c2_t.jpg

Originally posted by L.Tankersley:

Also, I had a neat idea this morning about a way to import CMBB maps into Mapping Mission. The gist of the idea is to take a screenshot of the map in the CMBB editor, and then have MM import the screenshot and pattern-match the tiles to figure out what tile goes where.

I have done it! It is a little tricky getting it to the right scale to fit within the right gridlines BUT it does work. Thanks again for such a great tool. I now have a way to make it easier to run some multiplayer campaigns off of huge maps by just cutting and exporting out of Mapping Mission the required areas where the battles take place. Thank you, thank you ! ! !

Originally posted by Hans:

is that a "work out minor errors but you can use" or "wait until its stable"?

It is working fine for most I think. There is a minor bug or 2 from what I understand but it only affects a very small number. The creator has also been adding some enhancements as he has been developing this, hence the changing versions. I have been using it since the first version and it gets better with each little cange.

1.05 should be released to the public this week. The big reason for 1.05 is it corrects the odd export problem related to scrolling or panning the CMBB map that some European users were seeing. Thanks to Fuerte (creator of PBEM Helper) for giving me an idea that helped me fix this problem, and to Ted and Sergei for testing several intermediate versions. There are also 1 or 2 minor bug fixes (to the elevation export routine mainly).

One side-effect of the fix is that now the export process can take place in the background (i.e. CMBB doesn't need to be the active application). The only problem is that exporting landmarks only works if CMBB is the front application, so I'm going to add an "Export Landmarks" command so you can let most of the export run in the background.

DD, do you mean you did a screenshot of the CMBB editor and used that as an underlay? That ought to work, but I was thinking about automating the process. smile.gif