My problem with Combat Mission

I bought CMBO when it first came out in the UK. Then I purchased CMBB.

Eventually I stopped playing and just recently gave my games away and bought the Anthology pack for £9.99 (on sale in Virgin).

After installing the amazing Tarkus interface I started to play.

Thats when I realised why I stopped playing in the first place. I just cant get to grips with the 3D. Its worse in built up scenarios. I have to replay each turn about 6 times to work out whats going on at the same time becoming disorientated. I think the large open battles work fine but I do like street to street action. Im an Infantry nut.

I want to point out though this is a problem "I" have. I know that there is a superb game there but I just find 3D to fiddely. I wish it wasnt the case. The wego stlye is very good I'd have hated the game if it was realtime.

Oh well its back to Squad Battles for my STalingrad action. I might install CMAK and try the open desert warfare.

I know where you're coming from - I had the same problem. Too much to see and you just get a little "window" of action. My personal solution is to zoom out to overhead to where the entire map shows. Make sure that reporting is on. You then get the "entire picture" of the battlefield and a better sense of where/what is happening. You then zoom in to individual areas for more details.

***Grog warning****

Just the mention of 'birds eye view' will tick off most of the grogs, the most hardcore of which will say you should be at level 1 the entire time and jump from unit to unit. Bah! I need that overhead table top game/grand commandant feel. :D

Originally posted by Wodin:

...I have to replay each turn about 6 times to work out whats going on at the same time becoming disorientated....

Six times is about right for me. Its the building walls that get in the way when trying to view a street fight.

The game has "HELP" Hotkey functions built in:

1. Hit the TAB key to lock the view of the selected unit.

2. Turn the trees off as necessary. This is a major anti-grog cheating technique but who cares.

3. Use the 6 point of view with the "[" to zoom.

4. In view 1 use the plus + and minus keys to cycle thru all the units. Hit TAB often.

E. Use the Shift-C command to grow the unit size to very big.

6. Shift A to +20 degrees helps alot.

Oh well its back to Squad Battles for my STalingrad action. ...
You don't want to do that, stick with the CM series.

A part of the attraction of the games is the opportunity to follow individual actions, while also retaining an overview of the situation. The drama of the game often comes from those small confrontations: will that squad make it to cover; can that tank get off the first round; will that HMG stay unsupressed long enough to hold out through this turn. Sometimes the more times you have to view the replay, the more interesting the game becomes.