Biltong's Campaign Rules - Last Lap

Biltong’s Campaign Rules

41 South – June to December

All mayor changes done!

Latest update (13 Jan 2003) v1.6 here:

SuperSulo's Site

or here

Scooby

You can download BCR or Max’s Auto Parameters in Excel or PDF; or view the individual Rules sheets and the Intro Doc in PDF format online.

-------------------------------------------------

Frustrated with the long delays between PBEM files?

Bored with playing against the AI?

Biltong’s Campaign Rules will introduce you to a totally different CMBB world:

Unique Realism & High Tension.

1. What is Biltong’s Campaign Rules?

Summary:

You play the AI (as the Axis) in a series of QB generated battles. These battles are generated using a set of easy Rules. The Rules ensure that all historical factors are accurate as you and your troops battle through the months and years.

Although you play separate battles, they are linked because you have a Battle Group of German troops and armor that move with you from the first battle to the last.

41 South is the set of Rules covering the months June to December in the Army Group “South” Theatre of Operations.

Operation Barbarossa erupts on 22 June 1941 and you and your men storm through the Soviet ranks through the long months of summer in the steppe and the mud and rain of October. You take your men all the way to Rostov, Khar’kov and the Crimea before the incredible cold of November halt you in your tracks. Then the Soviet counter attacks start.

Overview:

You are the commanding officer of a company of German troops and some armor that you take through the whole CMBB time frame from the opening salvo on 22 June 41 till the last shells fall in Berlin four years later.

As you lead your company and armor into Russia all the parameters of the battles are dictated by historically accurate data, e.g. on the 4th week of October 41 it suddenly turns bitterly cold and the German advance freezes to a halt. However, there is also a random factor provided by a “Random Number”, to provide a degree of unpredictability, but historical accuracy dominates.

Your individual men and armor gain or loose experience throughout the Campaign. You start off with Regular troops, but after a year it becomes obvious that the quality of your replacements are getting worse and worse. How your men grow in experience will depend on how they fare in each battle… how many men did they lose; did they get rattled; did they take out a MG pillbox or maybe even a tank?

You yourself, as the CO, learn and slowly gain or loose Experience and also Favor with your own commanding officer, depending on battle outcomes and a host of other factors, e.g.: don't lose battles or even armor and especially don't let them burn! Your CO gets highly p'd off and you lose his Favor, which you can use to influence some of his decisions. E.g.: whether you can avoid launching an Immediate Assault straight after your last battle without even getting reinforcements.

For most battles you will also get a Task Force to help your Battle Group: Infantry, Support, Vehicles, Armor, Arty or Air, depending on factors such as weather, who assaults or attack who and what the date is.

Every CMBB parameter possible is used to provide an enormous variety of battles within a strictly historical framework.

2. What makes it different

Immediate satisfaction and action versus the long delays between PBEM games combined with immersion and suspense from really getting involved with your men and armor over a long period of time.

The other factor is a degree of realism that no other CMBB play technique offers.

In QB's, PBEM's and all designer scenarios you always have a “balanced” opponent, but that is near idiotic – on the East Front this hardly ever happened.

With the Campaign Rules you have the real thing: Sometimes you know who your opponent is; sometimes you are facing unknown odds. Sometimes you have an easy go of it - hammering low on ammo and decimated green Partisans, but later that night you might face a counter-attack from 3 companies of Guards Mech, before you had chance to get reinforcements... Or Division might promise you a lot of supporting arty, but a fog sets in just before your assault, making them useless.

You have to think on your feet and learn to retreat when necessary... no more heroic defenses or assaults till the last man!!

Your men's survival becomes of the utmost importance... even to the extent that you'll rather loose a battle than loose too many men! The flags still matter – you still want to win, but not at the cost and risk of decimating your men. Realism rules for the first time.

As a learning tool this is unsurpassed.... You learn to think and act like a real commander... If you think you’ve got your tactics down pat, :D – Think again… You will get into situations that you’ve never encountered before… and never will with normal scenarios and QB’s.

That you are playing the AI becomes completely unimportant... all that matters are winning and surviving… for your men and yourself.

3. BCR’s Goal is to:

1. Enable players to play a Campaign from June 41 through all of the CMBB terrain until the final day of battle in Berlin.

2. Make sure that the Campaign never becomes Boring – the difficulty must increase, it must be varied and the Campaign must end in a climax.

3. Keep the Campaign as Historically accurate as possible.

4. Keep it short and simple enough to allow most players to understand and use it.

5. Enable anyone to Expand or Modify BCR to his own taste.

6. Provide Excitement, Tension and just good old-fashioned Fun!

BCR is just for yourself… the battle is between yourself and an enemy who grows stronger every year… You will have to become a better commander for you and your men to survive till the end.

All feed back/errors/ideas/gray or unclear areas very welcome... help to make the Rules better for everyone.

Enjoy!!

Biltong

[ January 24, 2003, 12:47 PM: Message edited by: Biltong ]

• Replies 218
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

History Buff,

Scooby's going to be your best bet. He put all the versions on his site in PDF format and might still have the 1.3 on his HD. However - he's out of town till 1 Jan - so You'll have to hold on...

BTW - why do you want to stick with 1.3?

1.5 is miles ahead and it comes out t'morrow.

Biltong

Originally posted by Biltong:

History Buff,

Scooby's going to be your best bet. He put all the versions on his site in PDF format and might still have the 1.3 on his HD. However - he's out of town till 1 Jan - so You'll have to hold on...

BTW - why do you want to stick with 1.3?

1.5 is miles ahead and it comes out t'morrow.

Biltong

Sorry Biltong, I'm just a strong advocate of the kind of experience system used in 1.3. Counting casulties caused, mortars etc. And as I've said before, don't want to really have to go to a system where the only real way you can get any experience is blow up tanks.

For those looking for help managing your campaigns, my Python based campaign generator is finally ready for testing. It's still an early release, meaning there is no documentation and some features are still missing, but it does a good job of generating parameters for the battles.

To try it out, download it from my web-page,

http://home.attbi.com/bass-a/pyBCR.html

You can download source (requires Python 2.2) or an exe/dll bundle (no Python installation required).

pyBCR [ -d | --debug=file] [-t | --test=count] [game-file]

debug options:

-d debug output sent to 'debug.txt'

--debug=file debug output sent to file

test options:

in test mode all user input is answered randomly

-t create a single test

--test=count create 'count' test battles

game-name load/save battles from/to game-file

Once you've started it and loaded a file (or started a new campaign) the program will prompt you whenever it needs input.

I hope you find it useful.

-Andy

[ December 24, 2002, 10:22 AM: Message edited by: Mare Ichthys ]

Originally posted by Mare Ichthys:

For those looking for help managing your campaigns, my Python based campaign generator is finally ready for testing.

Hey, another programmer!

To try it out, download it from my web-page,

http://home.attbi.com/bass-a/pyBCR.html

Busted! Me Want! Just me or did this link work for someone else? "Not Found", so not a bw thing...

Eden

I tried to fix the link in my original post, somehow the tilde disappeared from the link :-(

Here is the corrected one...

http://home.attbi.com/~bass-a/pyBCR.html

As for what it is....

it is sort of like the auto-parameters sheet, except it interactive. As it calculates the parameters for then next battle it checks to see if there are multiple options selectable, and if there are and you have enough favor it asks if you would like to spend that favor. If you answer yes then it lists the options you can choose from. When all the parameters are calculated you can save the results and the next time you start up it will ask you about the outcome of the battle. Then it rolls up a new battle including the special rules for immediate and counter attacks.

It currently only does parameters. Future work will include tracking your BattleGroup with replacements and reorganizations and a favor sheet to fill out.

-Andy

Christmas & last BCR Update for this year!

BCR v1.5

A lot of changes – mostly to do with clarifications and fine-tuning.

BCR's Beta phase is virtually complete.

The Scalpel is starting on the walk-through for newbies and there’s still a couple of small issues to be addressed, but I think that will always be the case – always something that will need to be tuned even finer ;)

Most important changes since v1.4:

1. Finalize Unit Exp Gain/Replacements

2. Change Note 3 After Replacement Exp Calc and all references.

3. Changed 56 Normal Replacements to cater for different quality replacements on different months.

4. Created a table for Replacement Quality percentages through the years.

5. Changed Battle Groups to starts off as Regular in all docs.

6. Create BCR Goals doc and include into Intro.

7. Fine-tune Favor

8. 1 point exp per inf squad etc if they had any kills

9. Note 8 + Immediate/Counter Attack/Assault + Date & Time cleanup

10. Add Vehicle transport for Attached units

11. Redo Intro Doc

Update & Unresolved Issues v1.5

Not a lot left to be done. Finally :rolleyes:

Next on the list is:

1. Double check replacement formula

2. Cater for Major Actions

3. Investigate Arty/Air – time for air (include dawn, but not dusk); Allied armor more likely to get air; Ax assault etc modifiers pushing points too high; If you get Air you don’t get the needed arty etc.

4. Create rules to cater for specific battles, e.g.: City, River Crossing etc.

5. Fine-tune Sewer Movement

And that will be that – nothing else left to change - for now :cool:

Max’s Auto Parameters v1.5

Max’s Auto Parameters has been updated to match the new 1.5 rules. No patience for rolling up parameters - This is your one click solution.

BCR Map Expansion List v1.5 & Map Pack 3

30 NEW MAPS ADDED!

If you haven’t tried this expansion yet, give it a spin – it’s easy – no rule changes at all! You are missing out on some really great battles! 82 Maps on the list already!!!

As for everything – get it here:

SuperSulo's BCR Site

Download and enjoy

This is also a good time to thank the hotshots in the

BCR Team

Logic & Language – The Scalpel

Maps & Research - Manstein22

Web Master & Board Support - SuperSulo

Auto Parameters & BCR Formula’s - Max BauHaus

FAQ’s, Ideas & Contacts – Apache

Python Script & BCR Formula’s - Andy Bass

Auto Favor/Experience - Pascal Di Folco

Web Master – Scooby

Javascript - Master Dullard

Armour Rules - Sardaukar

For their patience, dedication and above all for their input:

Without the BCR Team, ’41 South’ would’ve been a frustrating experience for most players.

Thanx Guys – for the 1000th time ;)

From me & the BCR Team

May this year be less stressful and provide you with a lot more happiness than last year :D

Biltong

[ December 24, 2002, 03:05 PM: Message edited by: Biltong ]

Thanx Guys,

Ok – back to fine-tuning.

1st on the list: Arty/Air etc… ended up simplifying all of the Task Force:

28 Infantry/Support

See Note 17 - Task Force Modifiers

29 Vehicle

Allied Force Mix Mech or Combined Arms +1; Armor +2

Axis Force Mix: Infantry -3;

30 Armor

Allied Force Mix Combined Arms +2; Armor +4;

Axis Force Mix: Infantry -3;

31 Arty/Air

June +2; July +1

Allied Force Mix Combined Arms +2; Armor +4;

32 Large Arty - only if the die result is a 9 in the Arty/Air above

June +2; July +1

33 Air - only if the die result is 10 in the Arty/Air above

First Roll up Tree Coverage (44). If Time not Mid Day/Dawn or Weather not Clear or Tree Coverage thicker than Light, or Map Type: Town or Large Town go to Large Arty (32) and roll again.

See Note 18 - Air.

34 Fortifications

Only relevant for Allied Assault & Attack

November +1; December +2

Can trade in 10 points of Favor to alter die by maximum of 3

Note 17 - Task Force Modifiers

October (4th week) -1; Nov(1st & 2nd weeks) -2; Nov(3rd & 4th weeks) -3; Dec(1st & 2nd weeks) -4; Dec(3rd & 4th weeks) -5

Either Allied Counter Attack/Assault -4 Or Allied Assault +2; Allied Attack +1.

Either Axis Immediate Attack/Assault -3 Or Axis Assault +3; Axis Attack +2; Axis Probe +1.

See Note 12 - Player ExperiencePlayer Experience: Conscript +3; Player Experience: Green +2 Can trade in 10 points of Favor to alter die by maximum of 3

Note 18 - Air

Allied Force Mix Combined Arms +2; Armor +4;June +2; July +1See Note 17 - Task Force Modifiers

You won't be able to select an aircraft during Generate Task Force (47) using Auto QB. Don't worry..… In Generate Real Battle (48) you can buy the most expensive aircraft you can with the points you received from this roll.

However, you might want to buy some arty as well. You can do so. Use at least half your Air purchase points to buy at least one plane. Then you can use the rest of your 'Air' points to buy arty of your choice.

Replacement Formula

Max/Andy - had a good look at your ideas/graphs - But I'm afraid they just confirmed the existing formula:

Considerations:

Got to prevent CO's killing off a weak unit to up the quality.

Prevent replacements becoming the main vehicle in the Crack chase.

The only realistic way to up the quality of your troops must be to: Save your men from being killed and give them time to learn. I.e.: Be a good CO.

The Vet replacement graph looks radical at first glance, but that's what happens.

Think of it this way:

In any team sport: If you buy a bunch of hotshots don't for one moment think that you'll automatically have a hotshot team!! Far from it...

Those guys have to 'gell' 1st = they need to get to know the team tactics; get to know which guys are good/bad at which things; which group of guys make the best mini-team to tackle a specific problem; who will back up who; which 2 or 3 guys 'play' best together etc etc etc...

This takes time... and a lot of it.

You often find that a 'regular' team (who has been playing together for a long time) will beat a team of hotshot/Vets/Cracks that haven't practised or battled together for at least 'a season' or more.

Hence the drop in experience even if a bunch of vets join a squad. To think that you can just add 9 vets to a 10 man squad and that you will have a vet squad is a fallacy... These guys don't know each other... don't know who can or esp. will do what/"who can I trust with my life" etc etc It will take quite a bit of time before they are firing on all cylinders and the team/squad is 'Vet' as a whole.

Max - you put quite a bit of work into that spreadsheet - much appreciated... Sorry :rolleyes:

But this is not the last word either...

It never is :D

Next Major Actions

(3rd last issue?)

Apache

The points you roll up may actually not allow you to have a very big force at all if you roll up Amor or Mech if using those axis parameters (need to check)? Scheduled

Andy Bass

Have a 'major action' die roll. On a 1-7 do nothing. On an 8-9, set an

auxilaries-multiplier to 2x. On a 10 set an auxilaries-multiplier to

3x. Use appropriate modifiers for dates when major operations were

taking place.

Then when rolling up auxiliaries muliply by the auxilaries-multiplier.

Also, set a minimum value of 200 in each category if using a 2x

muliplier and 300 miniumum if using a 3x multiplier. This can result in

battles quite a bit bigger than normal and also insures that major

operations have a decent amount of stuff from each category.

What do you guys think? Andy got the ball? ;)

[ December 26, 2002, 03:00 PM: Message edited by: Biltong ]

Just played a game and my IVE got hit twice (partial penetrations) registered as 'Knocked Out' (-8 Favor) and the crew bailed out. Thereafter it showed up as 'Abandoned'(-4 Favor)...

Has anyone else noticed the same thing? K/O turns into abandoned...

In that case it would be unnecessary to differentiate between the two... Just have K/O?

Any thoughts?

[ December 27, 2002, 07:20 PM: Message edited by: Biltong ]

Large Battles

GET PURCHASE POINTS FOR THE TASK FORCE

This section provides additional Purchase Points used to buy the Task Force to help your Battle Group:

Categories: Infantry/Support; Vehicle; Armor, Arty/Air & Fortifications. See Note 19 - Large Battles

Note 19 - Large Battles

To enable you to play larger battles once in a while. Roll a die.

A Roll of 8 or 9 and you can double all the points for each Task Force Category.

A Roll of 10 and you can triple all the points for each Task Force Category."

Andy suggested maximums of 200 and 300 per category (for the double and triple) - What was the reason Andy? Worried we'll end up with a 6,000 point battle ;)

Originally posted by Mare Ichthys:

I actually suggested 200 and 300 point minimums, so you don't end up with 3x0=0 of something. I figure a major action should have at least some units from each of the categories.

-Andy

Ahh Ok - That makes sense - hasty late night 'assume'-reading :eek:

Note 19 - Large Battles

To enable you to play larger battles once in a while. Roll a die."

" A Roll of 8 or 9 and you can double all the points for each Task Force Category with a minimum of 200 points per category.

A Roll of 10 and you can triple all the points for each Task Force Category with a minimum of 300 points per category."

Biltong - I use the 'system' I put up on one of my last posts to the previous thread. I adds a little more 'value' perhaps than just banging up the point values. The fact the you may be ordered to spearhead for the MA gets the heart going a bit (it is of course down to your own discretion to do so - matter for the players if they want to cheat). Have a look perhaps. Let me know if you want me to do any more on it. I'm trying to use what's left of the break for some playing, something I've neglected of late, so won't do more on it until you ask (I'm able to play it the way I like with what's in my head albeit I may commit it to paper at some point).

Just read an excellent post by Kip (a Grog?) re Soviet defences.

See here: http://www.battlefront.com/cgi-bin/bbs/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=026262

His conclusion:

"One of the lessons for me is, if you want realistic games, build wide maps in CMBB. We are really talking 2km in width. It has always been the case that players use the map edges for protection, in CMBB you need to be careful to avoid this possibility in your map design."

Biltong

Originally posted by Apache:

Biltong - I use the 'system' I put up on one of my last posts to the previous thread. I adds a little more 'value' perhaps than just banging up the point values. The fact the you may be ordered to spearhead for the MA gets the heart going a bit ...

I had a look at it when you posted it... Sounds quite good, but definitely in the Grog Expansion category... I.e. Don't throw it away and if you have time, slowly expand it into rules. I've started playing again and every time I roll up a battle I find areas that can be refined/expanded

... I've got endless problems keeping myself in check/KISSing myself ;)

Somehow we need to find a simple system whereby expansions can be listed/browsed/downloaded and easily implimented.

The only way I can think of is for a mod designer to create his expansion by simply modifying the sections/notes/sheets affected. A description of the changes and what they offer is listed on a Mod site. Player downloads the zip with changed thingies - replace the affected areas and viola...

The problem will come when 2 or more expansions affect the same section/note etc - then you'll have to Mod manually.

Well - We can just as well jump in... want to start the ball rolling?

I imagine we can just as well use an existing Mod site to host the BCR mods...? Apache - you seem to be involved with the mod crowd - any suggestions?

Biltong

I'll give it some thought and run a few ideas past people and get back to you.

May be extra rules could be added as appendices which people can use or not (provided there aren't too many other rules affected by them). The MA thing should be quite simple, just a bolt-on you that you use or not. It'll take me a week or two but I'll try to put something into Excel and pass it out for views of the team.

Personally, I'd would prefer the term Mod be avoided in relation to the rules. I think people will get confused as to what we mean. To me a mod means something included in the game which is MODified by others (graphics, sounds and interfaces etc.). We are taliking about something totally different IMO. While sites may be prepared to hold the DLs I doubt they'd be happy for them to be called mods. perhaps better to stick to rules, versions (e.g. grog/newbie) and appendices (Major action option etc.)

Quick holiday post:

Biltong, regarding that Knocked out/abandoned panzer... Was the "Knocked out" just one of those "pop up" detailed armor hits? In that case, I've seen it too, first it gets "something penetration - Knocked out" but when I check it, it's only abandoned. Nothing strange about that, I guess, the crew thought it was knocked out, but the damage wasn't that bad after all, or something? smile.gif

Not really thought the implications through yet but, having just manually rolled up a battle (part of me still likes the anticipation/dread of what each number will bring) I wondered whether it would be better to bring the whole of the General Battle Parameters up under date/time etc. etc. rolling up everyting to do with the battlefield itself first. It does seem odd that some of those are rolled up right at the beginning but not others, especially when you do an Air roll and then have to drop down the sheet to do trees etc. then come back up again.

Read a post from someone commenting about players getting an unfair advantage by sticking to map edges.

This prevents the AI from getting flanking fire from both sides on advancing Axis.

Played Tworodski Ax As a couple of days ago and the map edge gave me a definite advantage. The AI got one of my tanks and a quite a lot of men via flanking fire once I reached the hill. If it had guns on the other side as well I would have had quite a hard go of it.

So: For Axis Attacks; Assaults & Probes it might be an idea to provide wide maps with the AI setup zone spread over the whole width (even curling forward on the sides ;)

The Flag(s) and the Axis setup zones in the centre of the map - forcing the Axis to go up the middle and use terrain to get to the flag(s).

What do you think?

Biltong

[ December 29, 2002, 11:08 AM: Message edited by: Biltong ]

Originally posted by Apache:

[QB]I'll give it some thought and run a few ideas past people and get back to you.

...To me a mod means something included in the game which is MODified by others (graphics, sounds and interfaces etc.). We are taliking about something totally different IMO. While sites may be prepared to hold the DLs I doubt they'd be happy for them to be called mods....[QB]

We can call them whatever we want: "growling bunnies" ;)

But I don't see why a site won't like us calling them 'modifications' of BCR - since that's what they will be... changed/modified sections of the rules... Why won't they like it? I'm missing something?

Originally posted by SuperSulo:

Quick holiday post:

Biltong, regarding that Knocked out/abandoned panzer... Was the "Knocked out" just one of those "pop up" detailed armor hits? In that case, I've seen it too, first it gets "something penetration - Knocked out" but when I check it, it's only abandoned. Nothing strange about that, I guess, the crew thought it was knocked out, but the damage wasn't that bad after all, or something? smile.gif

Hmmm - Yep - that could be it: "Fire and smoke and blood and brains everywhere Sir, I thought it was shot to hell, so I got out as fast as I could Sir..."

Checked in the manual - there's a definite difference between KO (badly damaged)and Abandoned (can be repaired), so I'm keeping the Favor diff.

Biltong