MMG vs LMG

You can get 3 Russian LMGs for the same price as 1 MMG and they have almost equal firepower (when the 3 LMG are combined) so which is better? Up till now I have always bought MMGs but I am thinking LMGs might be the way to go.

Edit: Oops I meant MMG not HMG, I was talking about the Maxim

[ January 03, 2003, 01:00 PM: Message edited by: PvtTom ]

Depends on the target. If you are anticipating a lot of soft targets (infantry, trucks, etc.) then the LMGs are more cost effective. The HMGs though will give you an increased ability to deal with light armor. Just ask yourself what you are defending against and what capabilities the rest of your force has.

HMG: more ammo, can sustain casualties better due to larger crew. Slow, and in CMBB if they rout they'll get exhausted and probably useless for most of the game (don't use Withdraw on them!!!)

LMG: more mobile, and if used in threes to "equal" one HMG's firepower they are better dispersed against return fire. Low ammo, can't deal with casualties well (1 and you're immobile). You can trick the enemy into thinking they are HMGs, or use them as scouts (mobility might let them escape).

Generally speaking (don't know which weapons you're talking about) light mgs are less effective at longer range, are more prone to jamming after sustained fire, and carry less ammo.

If you're in a defensive position any your asking your mg to cover a wide swath of open field then a heavier mg would be preferable. If you're attacking and you've got to hustle your mg across the road and into that open 2nd story window to support a fluid assault, light mgs would be the way to go... in my humble opinion.