BT-7 Fast Tank speed in CMBB

Tracks. Wheels. The BT series could run on either, and had a faster top speed using wheels only on roads. I've seen 45 mph and 55 mph quoted for that (early versions like BT-2, as high as 65 mph). With the tracks on it moves much better off road obviously, but the top speed (even on road) drops. I've seen the 31 mph figure the game uses and others as high as 37 mph. The game figure might be low-balling the top speed with tracks (many things Russians get the lowball treatment in CMBB), but it is correct to use a lower tracked top speed, and not the wheels-only road-only figures. That configuration just wasn't used in combat (it took 15 minutes to switch, with crew exposed and tank motionless, not something to do with enemy around) - probably wasn't used much at all even outside combat, during the actual war. Outside of admin road marches anyway.

Great answer, Jason. I thought as I posted, "I have a feeling Jason C. is going to jump on this".

The book I referenced does have the higher speeds for the earlier BTs, like you said 45mph and 70mph (!!!), but that makes a lot of sense to be in the 30s with tracks. You're right, though; 31 seems too low. But I feel better about this now. When I saw the OOB for the scenario I'm playing as Russians, I thought, "man, I've got to try an end-run down the flank with those quick buggers". Might still try it - I've got about 20 of them to work with. Of course I'll have to lay a lot smoke to cover these tin-foil wrapped machines.

Hey John,

The MBI book gives the following (exact) information:

BT-2: 70 mph (wheels); 40 mph (tracks)

BT-5: 70 mph (wheels); 40 mph (tracks)

BT-7: 45 mph (wheels); 31 mph (tracks)

Evidently, the difference between our two references (books) is 2 mph with respect to the BT-7 operating on tracks.

Ironically, my book (or one with similar specifications for this AFV) appears to have been used by BFC for giving the BT-7 its max speed. Close enough either way. The earlier BT models (2 and 5) were evidently faster! Thanks for weighing in, John.