Will the new engine have....?

I have noticed that tanks in CM always have the right shell loaded into their guns when the stumble onto a target. Will the new engine make us decided at the start of a battle wether tanks have HE loaded or AP? Would make tank battles very exciting when all of your tanks are loaded with HE.

What would normaly happen in this situation? Would the tankers fire the HE shell and risk giving away their postion? or would they try to quitely reload AP and hope that no one sees them.

This would also give us some control over the rarer types of ammo, for example we could force tanks to have Tungsten rounds loaded at the start of the battle, would also be useful to have a "Reload with ....." command. Or is this too much micro-managment?

Originally posted by Makes The Jelly Judder:

What would normaly happen in this situation? Would the tankers fire the HE shell and risk giving away their postion? or would they try to quitely reload AP and hope that no one sees them.

Depends. If they were sure they hadn't been spotted and the target wasn't going to go out of range or become obscured in a hurry, they might attempt a manual unload/reload. But if the other tank was training its gun in their direction, they would figure that the fastest way to clear the breach would be to fire the HE with the hope that it might do some damage, or at least rattle the other crew's teeth.

...for example we could force tanks to have Tungsten rounds loaded at the start of the battle...
That would be very unrealistic. It was not the practice historically to do that. Tungsten was nearly always rare to very rare and wouldn't be fired unless more standard rounds were not doing the job.

...would also be useful to have a "Reload with ....." command. Or is this too much micro-managment?
I'd like it, but I don't know what the consensus among the designers would be.

Michael

Originally posted by Oddball_E8:

Well they would probarbly do what i have heard that tankers in ww2 did... have an at shell in the tube at all times...

That's the opposite of what I've heard. Since they were much more likely to run into a soft target at any particular time, that was what they were loaded for. Of course, if they had definite intelligence that armor was in the neighborhood they might vary that.

Michael

I like how in Saving Pvt Ryan the 1st Tiger fires an AP round at the displacing .30cal crew, you can easily see the difference b/w that round and the one it later fires after it gets immobilized by the sticky bomb. The 1st shot is mostly produces a smoke cloud, whilst the 2nd vaporizes much of a house and sends up a huge blast. Too bad we didn't get to see it use it's NGW vs. the nearby infs.

[ January 06, 2003, 11:39 PM: Message edited by: Silvio Manuel ]

Actually, in my CMBB and CMBO experiences, I'm fairly certin that when a tank stumbles onto an unexpected armored target after firing HE shells at soft targets, sometimes they fire the already-chambered HE shell at the armored target before reloading to an AP shell.

I don't believe that an already-chambered shell is modeled. I thought I saw this once, but upon a closer look I saw that my tank fired TWO HE shells at the target. It's more likely that it's firing HE to get the range, then AP once it's confident of a hit, especially if you're running low on AP (which was the case in my example).