Books for tactics help...

I got some books not to long ago but forgot about them until I recently went through my storage shed.I have 3 books from the Army Course from Fort Benning Georgia.

They are as follows.

1.Infantry Squad Operations

2.Mechanized Infantry Squad Operations

3.Combat in Built up Areas..(city and town fighting)

I got these from a yard sale and if you can find them anywhere..They greatly helped me with tactics and battle planning for this game.I find I am doing much better using what I am learning from reading them.The writing is for a modern force but transfers just as well to WW2 fighting.

Hi,

The books mentioned above are very fine ones.

However, the best book on tactics, at the CM battle level, is Closing With the Enemy by Michael D. Doubler. In my view. You will not be disappointed. It is based on the tactical development of the US forces in North West Europe, but the lessons are universal. In many ways a “how to” book of CM tactics. i.e. a “how to” book of WWII tactics. What were the real world city fighting tactics? What were the company attack tactics?… and so on.

All the best,

Kip.

There's also several official U.S. Army "Tank Commander's Guide" books that find their way to libraries and the like, for several generations of armor - the one I found was for the Vietnam-era M48 tank.

It's a tribute to CM that the best 'game' tactics manuals are real-world tactics manuals. Can't say that about Duke-Nukem!