Reliable AA defense

I am playing the Kursk-Panthers in the mud scenario and PSW 222 definitely shoot at planes.

And the best defense against air attacks is to spread out especially your armor (keep a 50 m minimum distance between your tanks when you expect air attacks).

Personally I think the threat of bombing from the air keeps players from using ahistorical tactics like excessive bunching up of tanks.

Originally posted by Krautman:

Thanks cassidy, finally someone answered the original question! Will be appreciated. BTW, i now know what "vanilla" means (besides talking about spices; e.g. saying "vanilla german rifle infantry"), but where does this term come from?

I'd wager it's because "vanilla" is the most basic, generic flavor of ice cream. If not specifically said otherwise, ice cream tastes like vanilla.

Originally posted by Glider:

PSW 222, PSW 222 (late) and PSW 234/1 armoured cars are firing at air targets.

All three open topped. I'm a genius. :cool:

quote:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thanks cassidy, finally someone answered the original question! Will be appreciated. BTW, i now know what "vanilla" means (besides talking about spices; e.g. saying "vanilla german rifle infantry"), but where does this term come from?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I'd wager it's because "vanilla" is the most basic, generic flavor of ice cream. If not specifically said otherwise, ice cream tastes like vanilla.

I didn't dare to give my own interpretation of a colloquial english term I've first encountered on this very forum, but Bone Vulture seems to confirm my guess. Or maybe, being he a Finn and me an Italian, we're both wrong... smile.gif

For whatever it is worth, the fuller idiomatic version of the expression is 'plain vanilla'. When you use the term 'vanilla' and it's clear you aren't talking about food, the word 'plain' is understood and doesn't need to be expressed, except for emphasis.

I think I may have seen a plane crash on-map once in CMBO, but it was behind enemy lines and it might have been the explosion and resulting crater from the bomb it dropped just before it bought it.

Air defense varies in effectiveness, of course, depending on whether your opponent is using IL-2 or IL-2 FB.

Originally posted by flamingknives:

However, unflavoured ice-cream doesn't taste of vanilla. It tastes of cream.

Shouldn't cream taste like milk? tongue.gif

Yes, yes. I know that unflavored ice cream is not commercially sold (not at least where I live), and thus vanilla is the "basic" flavor. Anyway, enough of that. I think everyone got the point.

Great answers!

Another question: How come there's so many Finns around here besides the plain vanilla North Americans that seem to make up the bulk of CM players?

Most probable reasons:

1) Finland has had an active gaming culture for the past several decades, with several revered magazines that have been around all this time.

2) A rather high amount of internet connections per capita.

3) Our participation in WW2, and the mandatory military service we have today both probably increase our interest towards war games.

Originally posted by Bone_Vulture:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Krautman:

Great answers!

Another question: How come there's so many Finns around here besides the plain vanilla North Americans that seem to make up the bulk of CM players?

Most probable reasons:

1) Finland has had an active gaming culture for the past several decades, with several revered magazines that have been around all this time.

2) A rather high amount of internet connections per capita.

3) Our participation in WW2, and the mandatory military service we have today both probably increase our interest towards war games. </font>

Technically, T-26 is a tank (no criticism of Nightwish implied smile.gif )

I thought that Nightwish was a "symphonic goth metal", though.

Ok, "hero metal" isn't an actual genre, just something I categorize all the melodramatic metal under.

I have seen topics go off tangent but this one really takes the cake smile.gif

And still going strong! Off the track, I mean! redface.gif

(All questions regarding actual topic still welcome)

Here's my spiel on air defense when you expect planes in order of impact (all anecdotal experience, no scientific testing whatsoever):

1) Use towed Vet or higher AA guns and put them in command range of a combat-bonus leader, preferably +2. Cull out a suitable leader from the infantry.

2) Spread the guns out and keep the bigger slower 37mm pointed in various directions so some can start firing as soon as possible while the plane is still far out.

3) Put your light AA guns behind buildings or steep hills or other blocking LOS. This causes them not to open up until planes fly relatively close overhead, 'ambushing' the plane - you get more outright kills this way. Especially with quad 20mm. *note: however the planes will often get off their attack. If you want to simply fend them off, site light AA for long range fire.

4) US forces (applies to CM/CMAK of course) have tons of pintle mounted MG's on their tanks and halftracks which can create a storm of fire that causes most planes to abort. So the US can do without seperate AA in most cases. Otherwise, go for the various US AA halftracks (M16).

[ February 23, 2005, 04:37 PM: Message edited by: Renaud ]