Mortars refusing to fire

I am playing a battle in which my brave defenders are being overrun by hordes of Germans. One of the few means of stopping them are the plentyfull supplied mortars (both 50mm and 81 (?) mm). Only the last three turns my mortars refuse to fire.

I have only 2 50 mm mortars left (the 81 mm is to close to the enemy to fire, and the others are broken). I try to use both with a HQ spotting for them, to prolong their life. The HQ's are not hidden, broken or otherwise busy (they are "rested", and were even not under fire), and of coursze the mortars are in command range (red line). In the plotting phase I can do an "area target" to the spot I want the shells to land, but during the turn nothing happens. One of the mortars (also "rested" not under fire, and nice in cover) has 56 HE shells left (for 3 turns now), the other 31 (for two turns). The mortars have fired before, one even at the same spot I am trying to get it to fire now.

Anyone has a suggestion why this is? (I m using version 1.01 btw on this battle).

Bertram

[ March 12, 2003, 02:24 PM: Message edited by: Bertram ]

To make you feel better, you ain't the only one with 50mm mortar fire problems!

If you're not targeting outside max range you're targeting inside minimum range, or something else has gone wrong. On the plus side the AI seems to have similar problems. Can't count the number of times I've got back to the map after the scenario was over and found the enemy still had several 50mm mortars with full bomb loads.

[ March 12, 2003, 03:02 PM: Message edited by: MikeyD ]

No, they are not to close, you can not target an area if the distance is not great enough, you get an "target out of range" message then, and the target line won't stick. In this case I got a nice orange area target line.

Bertram

Adding: I just targeted one of the mortars on an other spot, now it is firing...... Very strange. (The other lost it's HQ, so it can not fire out of LOS right now). And no, there are no friendlies close (to react on the next post), at least 70 meters of for one mortar, and about 40 for the other. That should be enough for 50mm mortars.....

[ March 12, 2003, 04:05 PM: Message edited by: Bertram ]

The scenario has ended (in a draw), and with it the mortar mystery.

In the after action report it appeared that my opponent had captured two single men MG crews (I thought they were killed). I could not see them (I had only infantry sound contacts to make a guess where he was moving) but they did block the mortar area fire it seems.

I think this should be adressed, right now he send about 5 squads right trough a TRP where I wanted to stop them, and 3 others through a patch of woods I had targeted, only because there where some captured troops, which I could not even see!

And I was Russian too, they were not that considerate of their men, certainly not when the surrendered!!!!

Bertram

Betram I believe I know the answer to your problem.

You're using your HQ to spot for the mortars correct?

What you do then is have your mortar target an enemy unit or a spot of ground (it can be out of mortar LOS)

Now, you have to make sure, absolutely sure, that the HQ can see this spot. Otherwise, like you said, nothing will happen and the target order will be cancelled. The reason they probably started firing was because the next spot you chose for them to fire on the HQ unit had LOS to.

Hope this helps...